Buying new wireless router/adapter for gaming

I'm currently in the market to buy a new wireless router and adapter for my home network. As of right now I have a Linksys WRT110 router and a Linksys WMP54GS in the only wireless client on the network. This client serves for basic computing and gaming. The client only gets about a ~60% connection to the router at any given time when it's only around 50 feet away from the router with a wall separating the two. My apartment building is an old remodeled warehouse with alot of steel reinforcements and such, so that may be a reason for weak signal, I'm really not too sure. So I need a router/adapter that has good range and is solid for gaming in this kind of environment. Thanks in advance.

is there any way to possibly hard-wire the setup? non-wireless LAN connections are the absolute best when it comes to gaming. just throwing that out there as CAT cable is relatively cheap (compared to some of the better routers) and doesn't depend on signal strength; is easy to run through walls and such. you would also be able to keep the current router configured in the network.

if you need to go wireless, the latest wireless-n technology is the way to go, but you'll need a wireless-n adapter to get full n speeds. in other words you can use b/g adapters with a wireless-n router but it will not operate at wireless-n speeds. i'm not typically fussy about wireless routers, but it depends on what your client is willing to spend and availability. most of the newer Linksys routers are fine.

A hard-wire setup isn't really an option because of the way the home is set up. I've been looking at different wireless-n routers and there's just so many and all with mixed reviews (good and bad.) I've used a few linksys routers in the past and they all seemed to work well except the WRT110 being used now. I'm just hoping that if I purchase one of the newer Linksys routers, I'll have some better results.

you probably will have better results as most mainstream routers are basically the same thing. you could spend upwards of $100 on a unit with a better feature set and range etc.. but like i said just find a budget and maybe even look at some consumer reports. there are going to be good and bad reviews on all routers but just filter out what you don't need and go from there. if it's just a home network, there's really no reason to spend more than $60 on any router.

If lag doesn't seem to be a problem, I wouldn't worry about signal strength.
Either that or I would worry and come back to my wire. Uhhgg I remember when I had wireless.

Actually the lag and signal strength are going hand-in-hand in this case. Gaming is almost impossible, web pages load slow, and I'm getting 1 m/bit down/up on speedtest.net. It's pretty sad how 15 or so feet could make such a big difference. Maybe the walls are filled with lead.

Back