Buying XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Texaus

I am contemplating a fresh install of XP. I do not currently have the disk that came with my PC, so will need to buy. I do currently have a valid, working (for the most part) copy of XP Home edition on PC. WhicH copy do I need to buy?

Windows XP Home Edition SP2 - $224.95

or

Windows XP Professional Upgrade SP2 - $89.95

Sorry if this is a moronic question. I'm hoping the cheaper purchase would work. Please keep in mind that the whole purpose of my doing this is to start with a fresh clean copy of XP. So if the upgrade will work but not give me a clean install, it would be worthless to me.

Thanks much.

Actually, you don't need to buy either. If XP came with your system, there is a Windows sticker somewhere on it that has your Product Key. That's really what you're buying. You can borrow a Windows XP installation CD from anyone and use it. Just make sure the version of the CD matches the type of product key you have (XP Home)

Best,
-- Andy

Thanks, that is very good to know. Let's say I cannot find anyone to lend me their disk and I was forced to purchase my own. Would the cheaper soulution I originally asked about get me what i want?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back