California's smartphone kill switch bill passes legislature, about to become law

Himanshu Arora

Staff

In an effort to fight smartphone theft, California state legislators yesterday passed a bill that makes it mandatory for smartphone manufacturers to install a "kill-switch" in their phones to render them inoperable if lost or stolen. Introduced by Sen. Mark Leno and sponsored by San Francisco District Attorney George Gascon, the bill passed with a 27 to 8 vote.

“Our goal is to swiftly take the wind out of the sails of thieves who have made the theft of smartphones one of the most prevalent street crimes in California’s biggest cities,” said Leno. The legislation passed the State Assembly last week.

Smartphone theft accounts for over 50% of all crimes in many of the state's large cities like San Francisco and Oakland. Several other states including New York and Illinois are also considering similar measures to stem what government officials have called an "epidemic". According to security firm Lookout, one in ten smartphone owners in the US has had a phone stolen.

The bill, which is now headed to Democratic Governor Jerry Brown for his signature before becoming law, requires all smartphones manufactured and sold in California after July 2015 to come pre-installed with anti-theft tech.

After being introduced at a press conference in February, the bill failed its first vote in the state Senate in April, amid opposition from the wireless communications industry. The Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) also opposed the bill arguing that the option could be exploited as the bill doesn't make it clear who would be authorized to turn off a phone. However, the bill passed the Senate two weeks later in early May.

The bill incorporated some changes before it won final approval from the Senate yesterday; its enforcement date was pushed to July from January 2015, tablet computers were exempted from its requirements, and more.

"I commend the Legislature for standing up to the wireless industry and voting to protect the safety of their constituents," said Gascón.

Permalink to story.

I'm gonna make it so my phone's kill switch releases deadly radiation just so anyone who tries to steal my phone knows if they do they best be ready to die of radiation.

I'm gonna make it so my phone's kill switch releases deadly radiation just so anyone who tries to steal my phone knows if they do they best be ready to die of radiation.

Cool story bro.

I find this is a great thing, it will definitely reduce phone theft the same way as you don't see iPhones being targeted anymore. The only downside is who and under which circumstances could kill your phone.

This is downright ridiculous.

The "kill switch" should be on the carrier side to deny registration of any IMEI that's been reported stolen.
There is no need to install expensive extra's into the handset itself.

Also the stolen and bricked phones will still be sold online and when you get it, it wont work and the seller mysteriously would be gone.

Also how excatly wil lthis work, if its a software program the phone could just be booted into factory mode and wiped (android anyways) or alternative rom installed without the killswitch app.
If its a hardware fuse type thing that blows and bricks the device no one wins, thieves are often not the smartest bunch and will still steal phones without realizing they will become useless.

Giant waste of money is all it is. What works much better is a national blacklist so stolen phones cannot be registered on networks.

You can't 'switch' radiation. Not unless your phone has a lead shield around it that opens up as the kill-switch. Otherwise you will be dead of radiation poisoning long before the thief of your phone is. As an alternative, you could have a taser built into the phone to electrocute your pick pocketing perpetrators.

I'm guessing problems will be: a) if it's not a real kill switch, I.e. the phone is resuscitatable in some way by entering a password, someone will figure out how to do it via a proxy or a jailbreak or something; what technology can block, ingenuity and motivation can unblock. Even if it is a real kill switch, unless it disables a major costly part of the phone, bits will be salvaged for repairs.

b) Crims with an IQ over 80 will immediately turn the thing off or take the sim card out or both after stealing it, then pass it on to someone who can take it from there.

c) If it is a real kill switch, some hacker will figure out how to trigger it and 'brick' millions of phones on day 3, just 'because they can'.

Back