Call of Duty: Black Ops rakes in over $1 billion

Emil

Staff

Call of Duty: Black Ops has crossed the $1 billion mark in sales worldwide, according to internal Activision Publishing estimates. To date, more than 600 million hours have been logged playing Call of Duty: Black Ops since the game launched on November 9, 2010. The average Xbox Live player logs on more than once a day and plays for more than one hour each time, according to Microsoft. Over half of that time is spent playing online with and against friends.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, the predecessor to Black Ops, also accumulated over $1 billion in global retail sales but it took the game slightly longer to do so. Last month, Black Ops set a new record for the video game industry by selling 5.6 million copies (more than $360 million) on its first day and then broke theatrical box office, book, and video game sales records for five-day worldwide sell through in dollars (more than $650 million).

Black Ops is the seventh installment of the popular Call of Duty military-themed shooter franchise. Activision Blizzard originally said that it did not expect Black Ops to outperform Modern Warfare 2 even though two months ago it said preorders for the former were selling faster than those for the latter did.

"In all of entertainment, only Call of Duty and "Avatar" have ever achieved the billion dollar revenue milestone this quickly," Bobby Kotick, CEO of Activision Blizzard, said in a statement. "This is a tribute to the global appeal of the Call of Duty franchise, the exceptional talent at Treyarch and the hundreds of extraordinary people across our many Call of Duty studios including Infinity Ward and Sledgehammer that work tirelessly on the franchise. Our ability to provide the most compelling, immersive entertainment experience, and enhance it with regular, recurring content that delivers hundreds of hours of audience value, has allowed Call of Duty to continue to set sales and usage records."

Permalink to story.

I think after crysis 2, elderscrolls V, and masseffect 3 I'm done with gaming. These last 3 years have sucked for gaming and I hope 2011 is better. I'm not waiting another year for a good game. I spend too much money on my computer to be buying BAD and OVERPRICED games. I don't see this trend changing, either...

I should get a girlfriend and spend all my money on her, at least I would get more for my money that way.

dummybait said:
Just goes to show how low the expectations are for the "New" generation of gamers... sad indeed.

Console players are not gamers. They require autoaim for anything requiring having to hit a specific target.

In 2010 BC2 was by far the best PC shooter. Like, when you look at it, you know some serious work was put into the PC version.

Note to game publishers: people are willing to pay for games just not the crap you sell. Stop blaming piracy.

I didn't rekon much to the game either. Thank god for friend's wasting their money before me.

gwailo247 said:
Note to game publishers: people are willing to pay for games just not the crap you sell. Stop blaming piracy.

Got that right..All that marketing hype guess sells lackluster games these days,at high$$ prices.
BC2 is better then Black Ops imo.

Good grief, I can't believe I wasted my money on this game. I uninstalled it less than a week after I bought it and gave it to a friend to try. He apparently likes terrible games, so I told him to keep it, convenient Christmas present I suppose....

COD has sucked since modern warfare 2 came out and what do we get a crappier looking game set on an older game engine that looks like **** and doesn't play much better. Come on we want a game that looks good and plays good quit making it all about money you bastards we pay your way through life by buying your games least you could do is make an effort to make it look like you care a little you could learn a lot from the makers of BC2 which is a far better game. Look we dont spend thousands of dollars on awesome video cards and cpus to build an amazing gaming pc to have you bring out a game running on an engine made in 2007??????? look PC gamers pay good money to have great systems and just want great games in return console gamers pay once for a system and its done we deal out tons of money year over year and get nothing back in return on the PC.

They sold us the idea of a good developed/coded game. We got scammed using our COD loyalty because honestly who didn't thought that Beta Ops i mean Black Ops was the real deal, after loading the game on our pc's and saw the crappy stuff they sold us it was too late we already gave them that billion.

Wow that is ridiculous... just shows how many people out there are willing to waste money. I dunno maybe they actually really like the game, but... $60? I dunno, seems overpriced. I really wish they would release a demo for the PC so I could try the multiplayer out. I have played a little single player, and it seemed pretty good but I really want to make sure I like the MP before I buy.

This also proves piracy isn't really that big of a problem for them, even if it is pirated a lot, they are still getting plenty of monies. I bet if they dropped the price down to $40 I bet they'd sell a whole lot more and actually increase profits. There are plenty of us waiting for the price to come down, and if it doesn't for quite some time, that is a lot of no sales.

lmao at the people who complain that this game blows, did you even give it a chance? most of the people who say the game is horrid are the ones with a terrible pc or just getting raped when playing online. Playing in a party with friends his hilarious. This game is the ****..

lmao at the people who complain that this game blows, did you even give it a chance? most of the people who say the game is horrid are the ones with a terrible pc or just getting raped when playing online. Playing in a party with friends his hilarious. This game is the ****..

dude are you a *****? i mean come on this game is like the biggest let down ever and so was mw2 they are selling crap games and making millions off it. you obviously have never played BC2.

g4mer said:
How come nobody likes this game but it sells over 1b???

Because it has managed to do what the Wii did, get into the general publics interests.
It had soo much publicity that almost everyone I know had heard of it and of course from the older games It was developed by a decent developer and always got praise from the more hardcore FPS croud until MW2.

This was a complete and utter let down because they used the trust that everyone had given the franchise to sell an absolute rubbish game that was developed by at best, a medicore developer. Just for the money.

If it had been Infinity Ward developing the game, it may not have been such a let down, then again, it would have been an entire year more before we would see any game materialise.

klepto12 said:

dude are you a *****? i mean come on this game is like the biggest let down ever and so was mw2 they are selling crap games and making millions off it. you obviously have never played BC2.

I have BC2, gave it a chance, didn't care for it,

Back