Can anyone recommend a PSU for me, please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

torrenter

Hi there guys. Not sure what size PSU to get. I recently shelled a lot of dough for PC parts. I'm building my first PC and want to make sure I can give it enough power, with a little overhead. I may wish to overclock the processor in the future so that needs to be taken into account.

From what I understand I should get either a US or Taiwan made PSU, and that constant voltage and amperage are most important. I'd also go for one that's Gold 80 Plus certified, if needs be.

Here are the parts:

Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R mobo
Intel i7 920 CPU (Will want to overclock later in the CPU's life)
ATI HD 5870 GPU
6GB (3 x 2GB) Corsair XMS3 DDR3 PC3-12800 (1600 Mhz)
AKASA Nero S Premier Cooler
Corsair H50-1 Hydro Watercooler (Will probably use this with OC'd processor)
Scythe Setsugen GPU Cooler
Samsung F3 1TB HDD

I also already have an old Samsung SyncMaster 243T LCD monitor, a Creative i-Trigue 2.1 Sound System, HP Photosmart 2575, HP Keyboard and Wireless Mouse. And I will probably change the keyboard and mouse for something more fanciful later on.

I will be using Windows 7 64bit Home Premium.

Your help is much appreciated.

Thanks a lot JMMD. Did a little research, great PSUs as you say, but I'm sold on the Seasonic X-650W:) Won't be using SLI/Crossfire, or upgrading to a dual GPU card. Very much doubt it anyway.

Hi torrenter.

I don't see the need in getting the Seasonic X650 as it's selling for a whopping $170 on newegg. Just get the Corsair 650TX which is available for $69.99 after a $20 mail-in rebate.

Oh, sorry Ritwik7 but I'm based in the UK and the price difference on one web site is £30. I'm willing to pay that for Gold Plus Efficiency and the PSU's other features:) La Creme de la creme, right?:)

Only question I now have is, can anyone recommend a good looking, well designed case with good cooling features? Do I need full tower? The mobo was a lot smalled than I thought?

Oh, sorry Ritwik7 but I'm based in the UK
Oops! My bad. Didn't notice your location information.

I'm pretty sure that the Corsair would be as efficient considering the fact that Corsair has used Seasonic to manufacture some of their PSUs one of which, I believe, is the 650TX.

I don't think that you need a full tower. How much are you willing to spend on your case?

Well, my budget for first new build PC was £1,200. I've spent £940 so far, excluding the Samsung F3 1TB HDD which I'm yet to order. So the HDD and Seasonic X-650W PSU come to roughly £200. That leaves me with £60. Which obviously isn't enough for a decent case. Plus, I will be buying Windows 7, which at a very expensive £90 means I will be over my inital budget by £30. But what the heck. Let's say £120 is my budget for the case. Aluminium preferable.

Let's the

A very nice case would be the Cooler Master HAF 932 or Antec 1200.However, they're steel full towers, not aluminium.

For aluminium cases you could look at Lian Li. Maybe the PC-A70F.

Hey guys, I just purchased a HAF-922 and though it is mid-tower by designation it is not much smaller than my beast of a full-tower Thermaltake Xaser II. It is suprisingly lighter than I thought and tons of room and has good cable management.

I would have to agree with Ritwik7 on the Case Reccomendations, as he helped settle my mind on a new case and I chose the Cooler Master HAF-932, it's a great case and it has great features and tons of room to expand. The Cooler Master HAF 932 won't dissapoint. =D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back