Can I install Win 7 Pro with key over Win 7 Ultimate?

Is it a problem to change os with a key code? I am ordering a disc of win 7 pro to go over win 7 ultimate because the key code on there now (on ultimate) says it is not genuine. it was ok in the beginning, now it is bad. I have a repair disc and it won't accept the key on ultimate, says it is not genuine so I am looking at a win 7 pro disc on ebay - says it is a genuine key. Do you see any problems with a new install over 7 ultimate?

The tutorial didn't really help, sorry. The repair disc cleaned out everything, wiped clean. Now I have no way of connecting to the internet, it won't let me on for some reason. I was going to buy a new disc, maybe 7 home premium or pro and install and use the new key with that new program. Will that work? I can't find an ultimate 7 on ebay. Another thing is, the side/case of the PC does not say ultimate, but that was the program on it that says it's not genuine. It's also a refurbished PC. The side says 7 home premium. It's very confusing for me to know what will or won't work on this PC. This is my mother-in-laws PC and she didn't even have a restore point on it. I just want to get a program working on it and back online.

SNGX1275 gives you a link which would solve your problem by creating recovery disks for home premium IF you still have a hidden recovery partition. Easeus partition master free http://www.partition-tool.com/product.htm?ad&gclid=CMPjlrOI58UCFQH3wgodD30A5A will enable you to create a booting media on another PC with which you can boot your problem PC and see what (if any) partitions are left.

If no recovery partition exists, then I suppose your best answer would be to find a friend or colleague with a similar PC (that is, home premium) from which they may allow you to create the recovery disks. You would obviously then use the key on the side of your PC.

@SNGX1275 true, but I was indicating the simplest option - where if a restore partition is still there, then it will also have the correct drivers. It later became clear the OP seems to have a sticker for a different version to what was installed, and also says it was a refurbished PC, so I would guess the OP will probably not have a usable key at all......

@TamaJo you might do better to install a nice linux (free) such as Ubuntu. All depends on what your user needs a PC for, but word processing, emails, web browsing, music, videos, painting etc is all there in Ubuntu and very, very similar to Windows in use.

Last edited:
Back