Can i Put 800FSB cpu in 400MHZ fsb mobo

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a dell 2400 with a 2.4GHZ 400MHZ FSB socket 478 cpu and i want to stick a 3GHZ Pentium 4 socket 478 with 800MHZ fsb in it, will it work even if the mobo don't support 800MHZ.
Will the 800MHZ fsb just operate at 400MHZ? or will it not work at all?

The Dell 2400 was their lowest end Budget basic machine a few years ago. Power supply is limited. Memory slots are limited. CPU cooling system is limited. Why, why do you want to do this with an old machine having limited memory. You will have problems with power supply and upgrades of other components.
It can be done, but everything will run at the speed of the lowest component, so you gain nothing. You will need to replace the cpu fan and heat sink. That machine doesn't even have an AGP video graphics slot, as I recall, nor a PCI-Express.
Putting a faster CPU in a slow motherboard does nothing useful unless the old 2.4 GHz 400 MHz FSB is damaged or burned out. I can just about guarantee you will not detect a faster operating system in that old truck.

First, the prescott cpu core is not listed as a compatible cpu with your system, so it probably won't work at all. Second, if it did work, it'd be downclocked to half speed due to going from 800 to 400fsb. So it'd be a 1.5ghz cpu if it worked, which it probably won't.

This cpu, however, should work with it.

Hey let me correct myself, my dell dimension 2400 actualy holds 2gig ram. Even though the dell website says my maximum is 1gig and various forums. Your processor that comes with your dell dimension 2400 is way better than your monitor Look up 478 pin motherboard on ebay. You will find some mobo for 30-50$ that have agp slots that are way better then your current mobo. Those Mobo (on ebay that list 800mhz fsb)will support that processor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back