Can i set up wireless?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aZn invaZn

hello, just a quick question about my internet connection.

lately ive been trying to get a wireless connection going after purchasing a netgear WGR614 wireless router from a garage sale, however, after reading a few wireless connection guides i still cant seem to make it work, which im not really surprised at since im running quite a dodgy set up at the moment.

currently i am using an Iconnectaccess621 ASDL modem from primus with 2 pcs currently connected to the internet. one of them using the usb port, and the other using an ethernet cord. so my questions are:

1. is it possible to set up a wireless connection with the things available to me at the moment.

and

2. will this netgear router be any use to me since someone has already used it.

Thanks

Sure you can...

The first thing I would do is navigate here. This will take you to the Netgear website for that specific product. There it should tell you in the manual how to reset the Wireless Router to default.

Next, I would completely unhook everything (network related) from the two computers that are currently hooked up. Put the router and the modem in the same location. Pick one of the computers that are currently hooked to the Internet to be the "alpha dog". Take your ADSL connection and hook it to the modem. Take te Ethernet cable from the modem to the Input on the router (it is the port all the way to the right in the attached picture). From there, hook the two computers to the router from 2 of the 4 ports on that back of the Netgear. Plug in the router and the modem to the A/C outlet on the wall.

Then, log in to both your router and modem (if able) and configure your wireless accordingly. If you have anymore questions, please let me know.

I just hooked up a Netgear and that is the easiest wireless router to configure. If you have the disc that came with the Netgear, USE IT! Have fun :grinthumb

Attachments

• enUS_diagram_backdiagram_WGR614.gif
    enUS_diagram_backdiagram_WGR614.gif
    29.2 KB · Views: 7
thanks a lot, i will try this and report back when i have the time. i dont think the router came with a disc tho

hulent,

i followed your instructions, however, i still run into the same problems as before.

first of all, after i reset the router (held down reset button for nessecery amount of time) and then followed your steps, i found that i could no longer log into either my modem or the router. the default ip adress (192.168.1.1) for the router did not work and the same went for my modem. going back to my previous set up of course got be connected again.

another thing that is confusing is the fact that when i use an ethernet connection from the modem on pc#1, it wont let me log into the modem, where as the usb connection does, where as on pc#2, the ethernet cord works.

OK, do you have the CD for the NetGear? If not, try logging into the Netgear like such:

Login address is: http://www.routerlogin.net
User name: admin password is: password <--all lower case

no i dont have a cd.

so i connect the netgear router, go to that address and log in? i cant seem to find where i can access my router from that link.

Take everything apart again. Plug the Netgear into a working PC all by itself and connect to it that way. Once you finally get connected to it, you'll know it's possible. Then you are able to start playing around with different configs and what works best for you.

i reset the netgear again, connected the adsl line to the WAN port, connected my pc via ethernet and connected the power. i dont get an internet connection and i still cant log in. do you know which lights at the front are suppose to be active? at the moment its just the 1 and the power button

Sorry it has taken me so long to reply. I just got back in town. I would check the NetGear website for that specific model and get the .pdf of the manual. Also, try to find the ISO for the set up disc for Netgear routers. All you need to do is hook up the modem and router as I specified below and insert the disc. It will do the work for you. It will also set up the security, which is paramount if you live in a residential area.

currently i am using an Iconnectaccess621 ASDL modem from primus with 2 pcs currently connected to the internet. one of them using the usb port, and the other using an ethernet cord.
OOPS! use USB or Ethernet, not both!
You can simpify your system and forget the CD by not using USB!

wire the net
Code:
modem---netgear----wired systems

on a WIRED system, access the router config in your browser http://192.168.0.1/
login
go to the Wireless section, set the SSID to anything you like, but change it.
set a channel, anything other than 6, like 1 or 11
leave encryption OFF for now
now change the Admin Password, save and restart the router​

any of your wireless systems should now use the Wireless Wizard and find your SSID and connect.

Once this works, you can go back and enable encryption and set a WPA or WPA2 key.

managed to get ethernet to work, turns out it wasnt installed in device manager. thanks for pointing that out jobeard. ill try to configure wireless tonight

i managed to log into the netgear router but it doesnt detect an internet connection so i cant proceed. if it set up the modem + router setup i cant log into the router any more, maybe something to do with my 2nd ethernet cord. is there a way to set the router up using just 1 ethernet cord?

using one cord; yes
when done, it will look like
Code:
isp ... modem --- router --- any wired systems
                    +
                    + + + ... any wireless systems
but you can config the router like
Code:
                 router --- just one wired systems

alright, i got one step further in the router setup. i managed to get past verifying the internet connection, so that confirms that the ethernet cord is not to blame. however, after it moves on to the next stage, i get the "firefox could not connect to www.routerlogin.net" message. could this be my firewall? or maybe i need to set my modem to bridge mode.

you're going to get NAT and DHCP service from the router, so using bridge mode on the modem would be fine.

alright, i tried all the solutions and still cant get through.

Setting the modem to bridge mode results in a "The connection has timed out. The server at www.routerlogin.com is taking too long to respond" during the 'detecting internet connection' phase. setting the modem to normal mode, i can get past this point to the 'updating settings' section, but then i get the connection message aswell. turning off Norton Firewall gave me the same error.

What else could be causing this?

I am too lazy to read through all the posts again. What kind of connection is it? DSL, Cable, Satellite, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back