Can my kid change his account to administrator?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 15 year old computer savvy kid insists he has not done this, but on several occasions over the last few months when my computer starts acting funky I have found that his acct has been mysteriously changed to admin. Mine is admin and his was limited. How can he do this? Is there a way he can detect my password other than guessing?

it depends

if you are running xp home, poeple can go into safe mode and that enables the hidden admin account which has all control including changing accounts
thats why busineses use xp pro so their customers/employees will not mss with the computer's settgins

holy..

lol I just realized that you might actually be that 15 year old kid trying to find away around the parents computer...oops

Ohh, that is probably what he is doing. He is becoming a computer whiz and he likes to play games all nite long, at least until I unplug the connection cable. I had bought xp pro when I was in school, but only needed word. I guess I will have to install the whole thing. Thanks so much. Last nite when I confronted him he said "you say the computer is doing funny stuff, so I don't know how my acct changed." and "tell me how I did it, if you think I did it." I ended up deleting his whole acct. He can use his laptop only now.

Start, Control Panel, User accounts, click the account you would like to make an administrator and then select change account type. If you do not have access to this then it is because you are on an account without administrative privileges. You need to be on an administrative account to change these settings.

Can I just add. That it would be beneficial to password protect all Admin accounts, including the Administrator account in Safe mode.

Also be aware that there are easy password cracking programs for Xp (searching Google) that cause no ill effect on Windows. So this is a dilema.

I suspect the best answer is to always monitor your childs habbits whilst on the computer, and mainly the Internet.

Huh that's funny :) You'd think I should check that hey! Woops
jackychan should have been asked to make a new thread by the way (so not entirely my fault!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back