Can my password change in XP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

imxelite

I had my laptop repaired at a shop because of a broken dc jack. Before I gave it to them I put a password on the login to XP. When I received my computer back the password I picked doesn't work now. Is there anyway they could have changed it? I know it's not that I forgot the password.

Yep, there are loads of ways of changing the password, although chances are they may just have set it to blank or password, they may have needed access to the OS for test purposes I guess.

Do a google on password change for XP and have a look at the various ways.

Regards

Thanks for your reply but is it that easy for them to change it? I feel a little uneasy about that. Why wouldn't they put that on my order log or tell me that they needed to access it.

fairly easy with the correct software.
The software doesn't usually let you see the password, only the chance to reset it. Usually dos programs. The one i use, has helped me on several occasions.

Well, if you want to reset your password (from another user account with admin privileges) then here's what you do:

Go to Start>Run and type mmc

Go to File, click Add/Remove Snap-In...

Click Add then select Local Users and Groups

When the "Choose target machine" window pops up, just leave it at Local Computer and click Finish.

Close the list of Snap-In's and click OK on the remaining window.

Now, expand the branch under Local Users and Groups

Click Users and find your account on the box to the right.
Right-click the account of which you want to change the password of, and click Set Password...

Set your password and you're good to go!

This method is kind of a last-resort password-reset technique, and should only be used when you have no other choice and nothing else works.

I didn't have time to ask did they change the password as the laptop was just delivered to me this morning. I'll check the recommendations ya'll gave when I get home tonight and give a update on the results.

Thanks again

Before you send a PC to a shop - remove personal data. PC shops need to boot the computers for diagnotics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back