Can see computer but not shared folder on network

Status
Not open for further replies.

melxv535

Hi
We have a network with a server running 2003 and all 63 computers using xp pro.

the 3 office computers need to access a shared folder, containing a frequently used program, on one of these computers. (This folder cannot be stored on the server as the program doesn't work then. It is also easier as only one computer needs the frequent program updates). I have done this by mapping a drive to the folder.

The user of Computer A has left and I changed the username and password on server and computer.

When I tried to connect using Computer B I was prompted for a username and password to access it and everything was fine. But computer C didn't give me this option. I disconnected the drive and tried to remap it.

computer A has the folder, computer B can access the folder and program, computer C can see the computer but not the folder.

All computers were recently upgraded from win 98 with fresh install except Computer C which was just upgraded over the top (Lazy tech guys couldn't be bothered to reformat)

I have called in tech guys but they take 3 days to arrive and usually mess things up

Has anyone any ideas on why this is happening. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Mel

What are you the System Admin or Network Engineer?

Computer C has to be re-formated with a fresh copy of XP. So that would have to be done if the lazy tech didn't do it right the first time.

Sounds like your remoting into these Computer A, Computer B and Computer C. Can you go out to their location and see what's going on? If you can't get the techs to do since you have to wait 3 days. Computer C needs to be taken care of.

Each PC A, B, C need to be setup in Active Directory so you can administer them correctly.

Sharing, whether Win/98, XP, or Vista, need to be:
  1. part of the same Domain Controller
  2. use the same workgroup name

Win/98 defaults to WORKGROUP and XP to MSHOME. Make them all the same
(even in UPPER/Lower case).

Hi
I help out with system admin but have no formal training and not a lot of experience with server. We used to use peer to peer with windows 98 which I understood, but then doubled the computers and migrated to a server.

Everything was fine and we could access the shared folder on computer C before I changed the user and password on computer A (which I have just remembered is windows 2000).

They are set up in active directory and using the same domain controller and workgroup name.
Thanks Mel

Hi
I have resolved this issue now (I wasn't going to let it beat me :)

The user had deleted the mapped drive icon when it wouldn't work, I found it in the recycle bin (I wish people would be honest when they have done something). I didn't think of this when I didn't see it in my computer.

So after disconnecting it I was able to remap the drive and everything was fine.

Thanks to everyone for their help.
Mel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back