Can someone check these minidumps?

pioneerx01

I am trying to fix my aunts PC and she is few hundred miles away. There is so much I can do remotely. The PC BSOeD with ataport.sys being at fault. I found few ways to to fix that, but all require me to be there (but running the updates).

Can you still check the mini-dumps to see if there is anything else.

Thanks

The BSOD is STOP: 0X0000008E (0xC0000005, 0X8259c9ff, 0x9D09f484, 0x00000000)
ataport.sys - address 8259c9ff base at 82598000, datestamp 47916824

Attachments

• attachments.zip
    69.2 KB · Views: 2
All three errors are 0x8E and these are almost always caused by hardware though sometimes they can be caused by drivers,

In all three they cite ataport.sys as the culprit. This is a Windows OS driver and the thing with OS drivers is that they tell us there is a problem but rarely are they the problem themselves.

What is interesting is that according to all three minidumps is that ataport is blocking another OS driver Mpfilter.sys from loading. This belongs to Microsoft Windows OneCare Live. This driver functions as a malware filter.

So...

1. How many security softwares does your aunt have running?

2. Has your aunt run her antivirus recently or has she had any infections recently.?

3. You may need to either do a system restore or a Windows Repair.

Before they made me aware of the problem they took it to company "PC heroes" and whatever they did I do not know, but apparently some virus removal.

When I got my virtual hands on it it had AVG, but parts of it were not functioning properly, so I chalked it up to bad install and uninstalled it. I have put in free version of Malwarebytes and did a scan, with one infection found (go PC heroes, you missed one) and had it removed. Then I uninstalled Malwarebytes.

I have downloaded Microsoft Security Essentials as it is less bulky than AVG and on PC with vista and 1GB of RAM, less bulky = better. I had trouble installing it in the beginning, It just would not go through. Once I got it in I went to update it and that is pretty much when PC started its first BSOD.

And yes I have checked, and there were no other AV programs installed.

I have checked out 0x8E errors and assuming there is no faulty hardware it seems that repair or restore is the top choice, but none I can do remotely. Once I go over to visit I will check the hardware out and if there are no issues I will put their old XP license on that PC and do clean install.

Back