Can you force a RAM limit through BIOS?

MysterioMask

Im only asking this because I have a computer that should be able to take 3 gigs of ram. But for some reason all the ram ive tried in it only read as 128 *which could be possible cuz the ram was from old systems* but I just got a 512 stick of ram for it but when it came it reads 128mb as well. They could have sent me the wrong thing but now im wondering if for some reason there was a limit set on it somehow. So im just wondering if thats possible.

Do not just buy RAM randomly, you must know the exact model. Try running this utility: http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/
The utility will tell you what ram to purchase and the maximum it can hold. What is the model of the PC because there may be a BIOS issue if it is a newer more than old PC.

I didnt just buy ram randomly. I did my research on it, and everything lined up properly with the information I had and the purchase I made. It should be 512, and it was listed as 512 but when its in the system its 128, so either I got shipped the wrong thing or the person I bought it from didnt know what they were shipping me. The motherboard can hold 3 gb ram. Why is this so hard, I just asked a simple question.

I didnt just buy ram randomly. I did my research on it, and everything lined up properly with the information I had and the purchase I made. It should be 512, and it was listed as 512 but when its in the system its 128, so either I got shipped the wrong thing or the person I bought it from didnt know what they were shipping me. The motherboard can hold 3 gb ram. Why is this so hard, I just asked a simple question.

Check your settings in your bios. I have had the wrong ram sent to me a couple of times. If it turns out it is the wrong ram . Hopefully you are able to send it back. Good Luck!

dont have to be all uptight about it...

Back