Cannot boot into Windows XP Home!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been able to boot Windows OK until today.I have been having problems with Windows Installer, where I am unable to install or uninstall programs. I read somewhere that this could be remedied by repairing Windows XP Home using my disk. I religiously followed an article on your website ( I think that it was someone called 'Rick'. However, I am now unable to boot in Windows at all.It goes through the usual system setup but when it should move into Windows XP you just see a faint ghost of the logo and then the screen says 'no signal and tries to reboot (unsuccessfully). I now realise that the article was pretty dated and SP2 has arrived which is loaded onto my machine.Could this be part of the problem.I am desperate not to have to reinstall Windows XP home. Can anyone give me a glimmer of hope?When I went through the repair process, I expected the process to ask for the product reference code, but it just said remove anything from the A drive and it will reboot in 30 secs or press 'enter'. I removed the disk as I had nothing in the A drive and the rest is history.
Can some clever person point me in the right direction as I am clearly out of my depth (but the process seemed so simple!)
I should also say that I have tried to start in Safe Mode etc.

Hi and welcome to Techspot. This sounds like it could be a faulty hard drive. I know you don't want to reinstall, but if you end up doiing so, try installing on a different hard drive if you have one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back