Cannot connect to access point's internet but can ping it as well as DNS and GATEWAY

Status
Not open for further replies.

gamingguy27

Hello, I have set up a wireless network and ive got to the stage were file and printer sharing works and i can ping every part of my internet connection as well as my routers ip but i cant connect to the internet!

Heres my setup:

I have a US Robotics 125mpbs DSL Router, (192.168.2.1) and it can be pinged. Plugged into the router i have a DSL connection which is fuctioning and is detected by the router, (i know the DSL works due to the pc wired to it can connect to the internet).

The problem is connecting to the internet wirelessly via a laptop, (the laptop has printer sharing and file sharing working fine as well as pinging servers).

Do i have a wrong setting on internet explorer?

Many Thanks!

Alex

Not sure I fully understand your setup yet. If I'm reading this right, you have a DSL Router, but your DSL Router is plugged into a DSL connection?
Does this mean you have 2 sepparate boxes, or is your DSL connection and router the same box? And so is this a DLS modem/router/wireless all-in-one?

Anyway, I would take a look in the wireless setup area of the router for any type of security measures, like MAC filtering or encryption keys and so forth. And make sure all the data is there for the laptop.

If you plug the laptop into the router using Ethernet, does it get online then?
From what you say, because file and printer sharing works, and you can ping the router, I am assuming that you have a proper IP address and so maybe that is not the issue. In other words, there is nothing WRONG with your wireless connection. But instead there is something wrong with your laptop.

The other all to common problem is with antivirus/firewall software such as Norton Internet Security. The firewall is notorious for blocking everything whether you want to or not, and whether the firewall is turned off or not. It just does what it wants to I guess. So check your software.

The last thing I don't get is, you said you can "ping servers". Does this mean you can ping external servers like google and ebay and yahoo? Can you go into command prompt and type "ping www.google.com". If it says unknown host, try pinging an external IP address instead, googles would be: "ping 66.102.7.99"

Many wireless routers have a special setting to allow wireless devices to connect to trhe internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back