Cannot connect to the internet on my laptop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jungleexplorer

I have an Acer laptop that I use to connect wirelessly to my 2WIRE Home Portal 1000SW router/DSL modem. It has been working fine for a long time and now I cannot connect to the Internet. I CAN connect to the router, but when I open IE or Firefox, they cannot find a server (Google). The same thing occurs if I connect to the router directly with a network cable. So neither wired nor wireless connections work. I know for a fact that the modem is working because I have another computer connected to it (Wired) and it can browse the Internet fine. I also have a Palm TX that has a wireless card and I can connect to the router with it and browse the Internet with no problem. I disabled Zone Alarm Internet Security and it did not help. I use msconfig to restart the computer with just windows services running and that did not help. I downloaded the WinSockFix tool and used it. No Change. What could the problem be? Thanks.

You have to do more than disable Zone Alarm. You have to remove Zone Alarm, and reboot.
Then later when the fix is in, you can reinstall it.
Now, go look at your device manager for errors, red or yellow flags in the network and ethernet adapter lines.

You have to do more than disable Zone Alarm. You have to remove Zone Alarm, and reboot.
Then later when the fix is in, you can reinstall it.
Now, go look at your device manager for errors, red or yellow flags in the network and ethernet adapter lines.

Thanks. This fixed the problem. I found out that at some point Zone Alarm released an update that if not installed would result in loss of Internet connection. I only use this computer once a month, so I must of missed it. Now I have to find another security suite to install since I already used that licenses key once and ZA won't let me use it again. That stinks. Thanks for the help.

Contact Zone Alarm. They sent out very apologetic messages when this failure occured. Tell them you cannot reconnect with the message. They may help you out, since they lost a great number of customers over this.
Or try Comodo. It is very good... but only about as perfect as ZoneAlarm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back