Cannot find a hd audio bus driver, HELP!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hatchman

Well, I' am officially desperate! I just purchased a HP Pavilion d4790y which came pre-installed with Vista. I do a lot of digital video editing and none of my software is compatible with Vista...So I uninstalled Vista and installed WinXP Pro. That alone was enough to drive a sane person crazy, nevertheless, I'm up and running unfortunately I still cannot run my software because of missing drivers. Specifically in my device manager under "other devices", I'm missing the multi-media audio controller, and multi-media video controller. I have a Nvidia 7600 GT video card, soundblaster X-Fi sound card, and an Asus p5bw-la motherboard.
Basically, what I'm running into is this. Since this computer was built by HP, (who by the way either will not help me or are completely incompetent because that option has been fully tapped with no success), I cannot find the appropriate drivers from any of the aformentioned hardware developers ei. Nvidia, Asus, and Soundblaster.
Please, I'm a student in college and used a student loan to by this computer, I need some help. A lot rides on me getting this to work.

Hi,

I will try my best to help

control panel>add hardware>click on this and see if the drivers appear

if nothing happens

right click on the icons with yellow exclamation marks and "update drivers"

By the way, when you installed xp-did you load the motherboard drivers that are on the disc-if you have one>>

If not, you will need to go to the motherboard website and download the latest chipset- i had this problem a few weeks ago and it took me about 3 days to finally work it out!!

use this following link to download a good prog that will be of help for further assistance

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

"How far down did the rabbit go?"

Thank you for your response. Well lets see, when I go into my device manager and right click on the multimedia audio controller, and the multimedia video controller and try to update the driver, I get the message that says that windows cannot locate the drivers. To answer your question about a software CD, no I didn't get one when I purchased the computer from HP. (A huge learning experience to say the least) So while surfing different software issue forums, I've learned that when a person buys a computer from a company like HP, the hardware including the motherboard is supported only through them, ie. drivers etc. Then the wall that I hit when I pursued that avenue was that since I uninstalled Vista and installed WinXP Pro, Vista being the OS HP installed, all of the software support is only compatible with Vista. I hope that makes sense. So presently I am just trying to find out what the exact names are of the drivers that I could successfully install. I have really been through all kinds of drivers and I keep running into the same problem with the HD audio controller missing. Here are some of the software that I have downloaded but have been unsuccessful in installing:
WindowsXP-KB901105-v3-x64-enu
SB128PCI-US
AD1988B_2KXP_510016110WHQL
AD1988B_5101610
sp26792
sp32646
sp33867
sp24200
sp26334
sp26792
93.71_forceware_winxp2k_enlish_whql
I'm so mixed up its not even funny.
Here is more detailed info of my PC from Belarc:
Operating System System Model
Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (build 2600) HP-Pavilion RP829AV-ABA d4790y
System Serial Number: MXG71203TK
Enclosure Type: Desktop
Processor a Main Circuit Board b
2.67 gigahertz Intel Core 2 Duo
64 kilobyte primary memory cache
4096 kilobyte secondary memory cache Board: ASUSTek Computer INC. Basswood2 1.05
Bus Clock: 266 megahertz
BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD 5.04 11/24/2006
Drives Memory Modules c,d
274.85 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
244.20 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

SATA-DVD DROM6316 [CD-ROM drive]
TSSTcorp CD/DVDW TS-H653L [CD-ROM drive]

Generic USB CF Reader USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 3
Generic USB MS Reader USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 5
Generic USB SD Reader USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 2
Generic USB SM Reader USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 4
HP photosmart 7600 USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 6
WDC WD2500JS-60NCB1 [Hard drive] (250.06 GB) -- drive 0, s/n WD-WCANKD775933, rev 10.02E02, SMART Status: Healthy
WDC WD2500JS-60NCB1 [Hard drive] (250.06 GB) -- drive 1 3328 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot 'A0' has 1024 MB
Slot 'A1' has 1024 MB
Slot 'A2' has 1024 MB
Slot 'A3' has 1024 MB
Local Drive Volumes

c: (NTFS on drive 1) 137.43 GB 136.28 GB free
d: (NTFS on drive 0) 137.43 GB 107.92 GB free
Network Drives
None detected
Controllers Display
Intel(R) ICH8 2 port Serial ATA Storage Controller - 2825
Intel(R) ICH8 4 port Serial ATA Storage Controller - 2820
Primary IDE Channel [Controller] (2x)
Secondary IDE Channel [Controller] (2x) NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT [Display adapter]
HP w22 [Monitor] (22.0"vis, s/n CNT703Z629, January 2007)
Bus Adapters Multimedia
Intel(R) ICH8 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2830
Intel(R) ICH8 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2831
Intel(R) ICH8 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2832
Intel(R) ICH8 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2834
Intel(R) ICH8 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2835
Intel(R) ICH8 Family USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 2836
Intel(R) ICH8 Family USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 283A nVidia WDM A/V Crossbar
nVidia WDM Video Capture (universal)
Communications Other Devices

1394 Net Adapter
Intel(R) 82562V 10/100 Network Connection
primary Auto IP Address: 192.168.1.106 / 24
Gateway: 192.168.1.1
Dhcp Server: 192.168.1.1
Physical Address: 00:1A:92:99:B3:17

Networking Dns Server: 192.168.1.1
OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller
HID-compliant consumer control device
HID-compliant device (2x)
USB Human Interface Device (2x)
HID Keyboard Device
HID-compliant mouse
photosmart 7600 series (DOT4PRINT)
USB Composite Device (2x)
USB Mass Storage Device (2x)
USB Printing Support
USB Root Hub (7x)
pcouffin device for 32 bits systems
Virus Protection [Back to Top]
AVG 7.5.446 Version 7.5.446
Realtime File Scanning On

Again I really appreciate any help whatsoever. I am really needing it right now.

Hopefully we will get there in the end-you would not believe the weeks of frustration and tears i have had with this pc-when things go wrong-they really go wrong with me!!

would you download the prog off the following link and give me the motherboard details-it is where the icon saying "mainboard" is

http://www.cpuid.com/pcwizard.php

also, try the following HP Driver site and click on the START DETECTION to see if that throws up any help

http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/support.html

I think you have an intel p965 chipset going by what you say the name of the mobo is-go to the following link and download the intel utility so that it gives you the exact one

http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scr...&OSFullName=Windows* XP Professional&lang=eng

PC wiz mainboard info

I hope I got the right info you were looking for:

General Information :
Manufacturer : ASUSTek Computer INC. (Asus)
Product : Basswood2
Version : 1.05
Serial Number : MB-1234567890
Support MP : Yes, 2 CPU(s)
Version MPS : 1.4

Chassis Information :
Manufacturer : Hewlett-Packard
Type : Desktop
Version : 1111
Serial Number : Unspecified
Asset : Unspecified

On-Board Device Information :
Device : Intel(R) HD Audio (Sound)

Slots Information :
Slot PCI : Available (32-bit) 5.0v
Slot PCI : In Use (32-bit) 5.0v
Slot PCI : In Use (32-bit) 5.0v
Slot PCI-Express : In Use (x16) 5.0v

External Connectors :

Internal Connectors :
Line In :

System Configuration Options :
Option #1 : Unspecified

"Cannot find a hd audio bus driver" I have seen this as a error message before and the only way I have been able to get a around to install the audio drivers was by updating the driver in device manager. You should be able to download the driver from HP's or Creative's web site. Make sure they are extracted then right click it in device manager select update and browse to the .inf file.

which chipset?

Deathhawk said:
I think you have an intel p965 chipset going by what you say the name of the mobo is-go to the following link and download the intel utility so that it gives you the exact one

http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scr...&OSFullName=Windows* XP Professional&lang=eng

I downloaded that id utility and it says that my detected chipset is G965 express chipset. But in that PC wiz program it says that I've got the P965 chipset. I think I downloaded the P965 chipset and it may be the wrong one. So do you think I should download the G965 set drivers and install them?

A little bit closer...

Well I downloaded the p975 chipset and was able to download something,(I'm not completely sure what that may be, but its something). Unfortunately I'm still missing the mulitmedia audio and video drivers. What do you think?

Edited by Moderator: Removed quote. There`s no need to quote the post directly above your own, unless you`re only replying to a specific section, in which case you would only quote that section. ;)

did you mean the p965 chipset?

if you have run the program..

control panel>add harware>and click which hopefully should find your new drivers

if not in device manager, click on the missing multimedia and audo driver icons and update the drivers

Yes, I'm sorry I meant p965. Unfortunately I tried what you said and nothing happened. The driver update wizard failed in finding the drivers. There has to be something I'm missing.

hmm....

so you downloaded and run the p965 chipset....

you click "add hardware" and nothing happens....

you update drivers and nothing happens...

exactly what happened to me-i then uninstalled the chipset again and reinstalled it...then clicked on add hardware and it found the drivers-or where it lists the audio/multimedia drivers

do you still have the yellow exclamation marks in device manager?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back