Cannot open control panel apps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Girl

hi im running windows xp home on an old (inherited) toshiba satellite laptop. all is running fine apart from i get a run ddl as an app error whenever i try to open any applications in control panel....as far i can remember i havent had a problem with it up till now (but i cant remember having to open any apps in ctrl panel till now) i have run the 8 step program but it didnt find anything anywhere as this lappy was used by my 65 year old aunt who just played on pogo everyday?

i need to upgrade the gfx drivers and i dont know how to do this without getting into ctrl panel? any help is greatly appreciated

cheers
louise

does no one have any solutions? or even a suggestion?

I inherited an Toshiba last year, so I know where you are coming from. I would say this belongs in the forum that deals with laptops called Mobile Computing.

That being said, I would recommend the following:

1. Go to the Start menu, find Run, type in ChkDsk, and click Okay. It has three stages. At Stage 2 tell us if it says "Recovering lost files." This test runs fast.

2. Toshiba used a lot of Hitachi harddrives. Since this is an old system go to Seagate's website and find their free harddrive diagnostic utility called SeaTools. Download and run all three tests: S.M.A.R.T., Short DST, and Long DST. We are trying to determine the integrity of your harddrive. I did this on mine and it passed the first two twice, but failed the long twice. Time for a new harddrive.

3. You may also want to check out Toshiba's own forums. http://laptopforums.toshiba.com/tshb/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back