Cannot Ping Wireless Gateway

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Lenovo T400 with an internal wireless network card. I can connect to the internet through my wireless router (Belkin) fine, but I cannot ping the wireless gateway and hence logon to the gateway admin page when connected wirelessly.

When I use a wired connection to connect to the gateway, I can ping the gateway fine, and so this seems to be a SW/HW problem on my laptop, specifically associated with my wireless connection.

I have connected to the same gateway with another laptop (wireless) and don't have the problem. I can ping the gateway fine.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance...

Belkin does block internal pings you known. The belkin has more than 3 firewall options. It should be blocking external pings too.

IIRC Belkin like Linksys and Dlink, disables wireless access to admin pages unless you go in and change it manually. I still use an old Linksys WRT54G V2.0 running latest Tomato FW and this is the default there as well. I seem to remember that DD-WRT also disables this.

To log in, wire it up and blast away.

Good luck.

Thanks guys for the responses. To provide you with some more details on the problem, I can ping my wireless router from another laptop that is connected to the same router wirelessly and access the admin page so the router does appear to have the set-up correct unless somehow it is blocking a specific machine?

The ultimate problem I am having is that I cannot "see" any other devices on my home network. The gateway is just the first point of access that I cannot ping/see, and yet, I can get access to the internet through the gateway.

I have been banging my head against the wall on this one for a while.. any thoughts appreciated..

Various issues and not all are solved with PING.
I can connect to the internet through my wireless router (Belkin) fine, but I cannot ping the wireless gateway
So you have full Internet access using the wireless (Browser, Email, et all)
and hence logon to the gateway admin page when connected wirelessly
Other than just inspection, you should never alter the router settings via a wireless connection -- unless you want to really mess it up. As soon as you change something related to the wireless connection and it takes effect, you will lose the connection and not be able to save the settings propery. Caveat emptor!
The ultimate problem I am having is that I cannot "see" any other devices on my home network.
Now we're getting down to brass tacks :)
This is entirely different than pinging -- this is Print/File Sharing and the firewall settings.

Which OS and SPx levels are every system attached to that router? -- the setups are different for almost all of them. Be sure to add Home/Premium/Pro to those descriptions :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back