Canonical to kill off Ubuntu editions as of version 11.04

Emil

Staff

Canonical has announced that the next release of Ubuntu, version 11.04, will no longer have separate netbook or desktop editions. With the introduction of the new shell for Ubuntu, the company insists that one user interface will work equally well with all PC form factors and that the underlying technology will work on a range of architectures, including those in netbooks, notebooks, or desktops.

This change is part of a broader push from the company to remove the word "Edition" from its releases. As of version 11.04, Ubuntu Desktop Edition and Ubuntu Notebook Edition will simply be known as Ubuntu. At the same time, Ubuntu 10.04 Server Edition will simply be succeeded by Ubuntu Server 11.04.

Ubuntu Desktop Edition arose in 2005 as a response to the launch of Ubuntu Server Edition and Canonical's desire to distinguish between the two. Now that laptops are more popular than desktops, and netbooks are surging, the company is changing its strategy.

"User feedback also told us that people thought the edition was not for them as they had a laptop and spent time looking for a 'Laptop Edition'," a Canonical spokesperson said in a statement. "So we are going back to our roots. We think this will make things simpler. When we mean Ubuntu for notebooks we will say just that rather than the more confusing, 'Ubuntu Desktop Edition for notebooks'."

Permalink to story.

Or save hundreds of dollars on windoze and torrent it then use Daz's Loader LOL

Ubuntu is the best, I have it on my laptop and my desktop, the so called "edition" is not that important, so what... people are lazy, they will always be.

Idea: get the "image verification" out... is just annoying

@guest you can always register in 5 minutes and be done with it.

As for Ubuntu, Linux is great and all but I can't help hating the default font used on the UI all over.

I've been using Ubuntu notebook edition for a while, works like a charm. I ended up using it after my little netbook style laptop couldn't handle W7, slow as heck and terrible user experience - so I switched to Ubuntu.

I have been running Ubuntu on my laptop for the last year or so. I switched from Windows to Linux (Ubuntu looking like the easiest to use) because my poor laptop couldn't handle bloated XP Pro, so I hope by combining the two editions Ubuntu doesn't become bloated as well.
Also don't want to see too much of a changes, because I just got my dad using Linux instead of Windows. He didn't want to buy Win7 for the PC I just built him and doesn't like pirated OS's so I got him setup on Ubuntu. He just learned that interface now they are changing it :p. It will confuse the poor old guy :p.

To be honest, the joining of the two makes perfect sense really, especially with the change from Gnome to Unity as of 11.04 - Which will work regardless in laptop/netbook or desktop variants.

Time will tell as to whether moving to Unity is worthwhile.

I'm in two minds about this tbh. I cut my teeth on Linux by learning Ubuntu back in early 2006 and have been using it ever since. Though as time has passed, and more over the last 18-24 months I have become frustrated with Ubuntu, and Canonical's "vision" of Linux.

I've moved distro's considerably over the last 3-4 months, but I seem to have settled with Fedora as my everyday OS - its clean, easily configured, and stable.

There is no denying the strides Ubuntu has made to Linux as a community, and its progress (as well as others of course) as a whole, but I often question whether the route they're taking is the right one these days.

Time will tell, in the meantime I'll remain faithful to Ubuntu, even if its not my everyday OS now. Its my server OS of choice in any case, and that'll never change, all-be-it for Slackware on occasions.

Guest said:
Ok, you go waste hundreds of dollars on windoze LOL

gladly, since most of us here i assume are enthusiasts, its in the description to upgrade. $650 on two graphics cards to run in Crossfire FTW !

$150 on top of that for an OS is a drop in the bucket.

Jurassic;
Please use edit instead of double posting.

In response to your previous thread:

Gaming in Linux has never been mainstream, which becomes all too clear when you look at the availability of Linux ready games.

So if you game, you have to use Windows (Or Mac OS X), in which case whether your a Linux user or not you'll be needing to pay for the OS from Microsoft.

I use Linux as my every day OS, but I still log into my Windows 7 Pro install in order to play my games through Steam. Its unavoidable tbh, and believe me, if I could play my games, and keep solely to Linux I would.

I've moved distro's considerably over the last 3-4 months, but I seem to have settled with Fedora as my everyday OS - its clean, easily configured, and stable.
My sentiments exactly - - if it aint broke, don't fix it!
I've left my Linux running Fedora 2 - - and I'll let the reader discover just how long that is :)

Got to love the ignorant Windows users who think Linux hasn't changed in a decade. Always great for a good laugh. As of Windows 7 most Linux users will agree Microsoft has finally released a noteworthy OS. Linux is still ahead in most areas. Offering real security and unlimited customization, not to mention freeware versions of most any software you would need with extra ones that aren't available in Windows. You save money on the OS as well as the additional software, all the while getting a safer, more productive, and more customizable OS.

Currently the bottom line is whether you're a gamer or not. Yes you can run your Windows games in Linux, but everyone knows for the best gaming performance you need native Windows. If you're happy with Windows, then don't switch, maybe you'd be interested in trying out another OS however.

If you are considering making the switch, read this article before you do: http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm

Leeky said:
Jurassic;
Please use edit instead of double posting.

In response to your previous thread:

Gaming in Linux has never been mainstream, which becomes all too clear when you look at the availability of Linux ready games.

So if you game, you have to use Windows (Or Mac OS X), in which case whether your a Linux user or not you'll be needing to pay for the OS from Microsoft.

I use Linux as my every day OS, but I still log into my Windows 7 Pro install in order to play my games through Steam. Its unavoidable tbh, and believe me, if I could play my games, and keep solely to Linux I would.

Actually almost any game that will run on Windows will run on Linux. You just need to instal a compatibility layer such as WINE which is a free open source compatibility layer. It runs many of the most popular Windows programs including steam. Here is a list of the most popular games with 100% compatibility.

http://appdb.winehq.org/

When I saw this article I almost had a heart attack. I read the "Canonical to kill off Ubuntu" held my breath then read "editions as of version 11.04" and breathed a sigh of relief. I absolute love Ubuntu. Ubuntu on my old Dell Pentium 4 computer is faster than Windows 7 on my Intel i7 laptop. The user interface is easy to use and Is defiantly more customizable. I almost like it better than Windows. It also includes a vast range of free open source software which for which there are free alternatives for almost all Windows programs. I actually prefer the open source versions in some cases.

Actually almost any game that will run on Windows will run on Linux. You just need to instal a compatibility layer such as WINE which is a free open source compatibility layer. It runs over 16,000 windows programs including steam. Here is a list of the most popular games with 100% compatibility.

http://appdb.winehq.org/ It needs an update - your comment reminded me, so I'll add that to my to-do list for this week.

When I saw this article I almost had a heart attack. I read the "Canonical to kill off Ubuntu" held my breath then read "editions as of version 11.04" and breathed a sigh of relief. I absolute love Ubuntu. Ubuntu on my old Dell Pentium 4 computer is faster than Windows 7 on my Intel i7 laptop. The user interface is easy to use and Is defiantly more customizable. I almost like it better than Windows. It also includes a vast range of free open source software which for which there are free alternatives for almost all Windows programs. I actually prefer the open source versions in some cases.

Erm, please look at this link...

https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic157447.html

WINE in theory works on over 16,000 applications. Don't get me wrong its a godsend, as I use it for Notepad++, Fireworks and Dreamweaver on a near daily basis, among other software applications.

But gaming, your well off the mark - I applaud your enthusiasm, I was once as enthusiast about it, then I was defeated to the obvious conclusion, and that is gaming is not for Linux.

Yes there are exceptions, I've even proven that, but unless you have near perfect driver support for the GPU, and then a game that ticks all the right boxes for dependencies, your asking the impossible.

Windows is always going to win for gaming, but thats OK, because Linux isn't for gaming, its for an entirely different use.

I use Linux every single day as my OS, for leisure, for a living, and for studying. I know exactly what it is capable of, and even I realise that sometimes you just need to accept that games just aren't its strong point > That isn't a bad thing, it has so many other positives, just gaming isn't one of them.

If you tried other distros (assuming your confident enough to try stuff like Slackware) you'd soon realise Ubuntu is very much the Windows (in terms of bloatware only) of the Linux world... There are much faster, much smoother and cleaner distros around. I cut my teeth on Ubuntu, so I know the journey its taken me from its very first days, through to present day, and I have to say I don't like the direction its been heading for the last couple of years. The Ubuntu I see today is full of crap thats totally unnecessary, and could just as easily be installed by those that do want it. I now use Fedora as my main OS due to this.

Leeky said:

Erm, please look at this link...

https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic157447.html

WINE in theory works on over 16,000 applications. Don't get me wrong its a godsend, as I use it for Notepad++, Fireworks and Dreamweaver on a near daily basis, among other software applications.

But gaming, your well off the mark - I applaud your enthusiasm, I was once as enthusiast about it, then I was defeated to the obvious conclusion, and that is gaming is not for Linux.

Yes there are exceptions, I've even proven that, but unless you have near perfect driver support for the GPU, and then a game that ticks all the right boxes for dependencies, your asking the impossible.

Windows is always going to win for gaming, but thats OK, because Linux isn't for gaming, its for an entirely different use.

I use Linux every single day as my OS, for leisure, for a living, and for studying. I know exactly what it is capable of, and even I realise that sometimes you just need to accept that games just aren't its strong point > That isn't a bad thing, it has so many other positives, just gaming isn't one of them.

If you tried other distros (assuming your confident enough to try stuff like Slackware) you'd soon realise Ubuntu is very much the Windows (in terms of bloatware only) of the Linux world... There are much faster, much smoother and cleaner distros around. I cut my teeth on Ubuntu, so I know the journey its taken me from its very first days, through to present day, and I have to say I don't like the direction its been heading for the last couple of years. The Ubuntu I see today is full of crap thats totally unnecessary, and could just as easily be installed by those that do want it. I now use Fedora as my main OS due to this.

I agree that Windows is defiantly better then Linux for gaming. I simply meant that Linux will in fact run Windows applications and it will run many of the very well. There are some games that don't work or have issues, but someone could consider it as an alternative for their default operating system as it is free.

That it can run 16,000 applications is was a mistake. It is 16,000 applications in the database. I have updated my comment.

As for other Linux distributions I have tried Ubuntu, Fedora, Mint, Suse, and Kubuntu. Ubuntu is still my favorite due to its user interface although I have only tried the latest version so I don't know how the older versions were. Have you tied the latest release? As for bloatware I am still unsure what you mean as you chose what you want to instal.

I agree that Windows is defiantly better then Linux for gaming. I simply meant that Linux will in fact run Windows applications and it will run many of the very well. There are some games that don't work or have issues, but someone could consider it as an alternative for their default operating system as it is free.

They could, but as I've said many times, it isn't for everyone. I've supported and guided enough people to realise this myself. For some, the release from Windows is a godsend - especially those that purely check emails in a browser, and look up ideas for the latest holiday for example. It suits this crowd perfectly, and leases life into older hardware struggling to run the latest Windows, all for free.

But its important to accept its not for everyone - because "converting" those around you is a thankless process, more often than not filled with failures than successes - something I know all too well.

That it can run 16,000 applications is was a mistake. It is 16,000 applications in the database. I have updated my comment.

Indeed there is, but its doubtful 10% even work exactly as intended. I also find the information is misleading, something I spoke about in the thread I linked in my previous reply. I'd say most aren't even supported at all. So in reality, you probably have a 1000 capable of running, and from that, 100-200 that actually work exactly as they would do in Windows itself.

To be honest a much better way of doing things is to install Virtualbox, and then install a Windows VM, and share folders between the Host and Guest OS' and just use Windows natively inside a window on your Linux Desktop.

Click this link and it'll give you an idea. Its an Windows XP Home install I use via VM for my Windows based automotive diagnostic software. I haven't linked the image as its full HD, and would kill the layout of the page if I did. It takes away the hassle of having to resolve dependancies with Wine, or having to force Wine to install the correct drivers or .dll's in order to function. You just run a real, genuine OS inside a window and have absolutely no issues at all.

The same software was used to make my Ubuntu how-to guide in my signature below. In fact, if it runs on a computer, VM can usually run it.

As for other Linux distributions I have tried Ubuntu, Fedora, Mint, Suse, and Kubuntu. Ubuntu is still my favorite due to its user interface although I have only tried the latest version so I don't know how the older versions were. Have you tied the latest release? As for bloatware I am still unsure what you mean as you chose what you want to instal.

I've extensively used Ubuntu since version 6.06, and bearing in mind they release twice a year, thats quite a few different versions over the last 5ish years.

I no longer use it as my default OS for every day usage, but its used on other computers in the house still.

Ubuntu include in the default installer programs such as the "me" or "Social" menu system, which is not part of a default clean install. Its not part of Gnome either, that is a Ubuntu add-on I dislike massively. Another one is the Ubuntu-one menu bar - the problem with Ubuntu is they've taken Gnome and they've customised it to their end. Unfortunately while that may work for some, I much prefer to do the customising myself - it is my install after all.

A Fedora gnome install is what one "should" look like - though mine is far from "normal", but it works for me in every day usage. I tend to find my desktop constantly evolves, rather than remains the same. I'm forever changing icons in my custom icon set for example, when I see a icon I prefer that is. These days though I'm far too busy to be playing with my own install, even if I wanted too.

To be honest a much better way of doing things is to install Virtualbox, and then install a Windows VM, and share folders between the Host and Guest OS' and just use Windows natively inside a window on your Linux Desktop.

Click this link and it'll give you an idea. Its an Windows XP Home install I use via VM for my Windows based automotive diagnostic software. I haven't linked the image as its full HD, and would kill the layout of the page if I did. It takes away the hassle of having to resolve dependancies with Wine, or having to force Wine to install the correct drivers or .dll's in order to function. You just run a real, genuine OS inside a window and have absolutely no issues at all.

Thanks for the info. I didn't know this. Do you need a whole copy of Windows for this or does it run the other operating system on your hard drive in a window? Does it work for Windows 7? Will it run 3d games?

Indeed there is, but its doubtful 10% even work exactly as intended. I also find the information is misleading, something I spoke about in the thread I linked in my previous reply. I'd say most aren't even supported at all. So in reality, you probably have a 1000 capable of running, and from that, 100-200 that actually work exactly as they would do in Windows itself.

All though that is probably true, the chance that an application that you want to use is supported is much greater. Many of the most popular games and applications work. The reasoning behind this is that the open source nature means that people will be working on getting support for the applications that they use and which they receive complaints of incompatibility the most, which would be the most popular applications.

Linux is for people who don't use professional software/games and/or people who can't get W7 for free.

Back