Can't boot or repair need help

Status
Not open for further replies.
To begin with, when I try to boot up, I get the following message:

Windows could not start because the following file is mising or corrupt:
\windows\sytem32\config\system

This all started after an improper shutdown (locked while loading XP)
To clarify, I was running Windows XP Pro SP1. Now I'm forced to use a Linux live-cd (phlak) to use this computer at all..

I have been reading about this problem for awhile now, trying to find a solution, but I still haven't found anything.
First of all, I've tried the recovery console. I've used chkdsk, and when I use dir, I can see all my files and folders, but I can't do anything because I get an access denied, and when I try to use the logon command it does nothing. Absolutely nothing.
Secondly, I've tried some of the other advice on this forum about starting a new windows setup, then choosing the repair option. However, after agreeing to the terms I have no option to repair, it just displays my partition.

I've been reading, searching, and trying everything I can think of, but to no avail. If anyone has any advice on what I can do (I really don't want to have to reformat, I have alot of data I don't want to lose..) I would really appreciate any help. Also I'd like to say that I can follow advanced instructions.

Thanks for the reply, but that is of no help to me. I can't use the recovery console, and I can't run a repair installation, as stated above.

In that case, it might be easier to take out your hard drive and put it in another computer. You will need to set the hard drives jumper to slave.. Get your important data off of it, then put it back in your computer, after setting the jumper back to master.

Reformat and reinstall.

Regards Howard :)

Thanks again for your time, but I'm going to try to hold out for a better solution. Going through all that trouble will be a LAST resort. Not to mention I don't have another computer to transfer the drive to at the moment. If there's something else I could try, even if it's complicated or involves alot of work, I'd rather try that than reformat.

I do understand your reluctance, but since you can`t run a repair and you can`t gain access to the recovery console. Your choices seem very limited.

Unless of course some of our other members know otherwise.

Regards Howard :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back