Cant Connect Two Computers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok i have searched other fourms but it seems i cant find answers.

when i try to make a new "connection" i go to "control panel > network connectons>new connection>next>set up advanced connection>next my computer freezes for about a min or two and i get this error

"incoming connections depend on the routing and remote access service which was unable to start"

anyone have any ideas how to fix this or why this would say this? this is my first time trying to connect two computers.. I have my xbox 360 and this computer networking so that i can watch movies on my 360 that are on my computer, would this cause this problem?

i am running XP home SP2

Start - Run:
SERVICES.MSC
ok

Maximize the Services Window
Scroll down to Routing and Remote Access
Double click on it
Change the Startup type from "Disabled" to "Automatic"
Click on Apply
Click on Start (within that box)
Close (X) the Services Window

Go back to setting up your network
I use Start-Run - NETSETUP

I have a question : Do i gotta have both computers running and connected with eachother and run all this stuff at the same time?

also when i right click and press START on the Routing and Remote Access i get this error

"windows could not start the routing and remote access on local computer. For more info, review the system event log if this is a non Microsoft service, contact the service vendor, and refer to service-specific error code 340.

if you ask me to show u what my system event log says, i dont know how to check it.

It's also dependant on
RPC, Remote Procedure Call.
and Netbios

to be Started in Services

I'd also Start Telephony

Please go back to SERVICES.MSC

And start all 3 of the above
Then try to start Routing and Remote Access again

Ok so that worked thanks a billion.. i got one more question, to connect two computers .. can i use the Ethernet ports? or a usb cable with each ending have a usb connections?

Wow has it been that long between posts
I had to go to the dentist, it was horrible !
Anyway, I went to bed after that, and here I am. (just thought I'd say that)

Ethernet is the way to go.
The point here is that USB requires drivers, ethernet doesn't
And ethernet is faster anyway.

I hope that helps a billion and one !

Please let me know

can it be a regular ol cable? or does it have to be a "cross over" one? i thought i read somewhere it had to be a cross over.. just wondering.

If it's computer to computer use CrossOver
If it's Computer to Router use Patch

If you use crossover, where will the modem go ? Wireless I suppose.

kimsland said:
If it's computer to computer use CrossOver
If it's Computer to Router use Patch

If you use crossover, where will the modem go ? Wireless I suppose.

ok i got a question, i got a ethernet cable (dont know if this is crossover) put one end in computer A and one end to computer B. I went to the start>control panel>network connections>set up new network> then did the advanced connections, connect directly computer, and i set computer A as HOST.. then went on computer B set it all up the same and put computer B as GUEST.

when i go to the start>controlpanel>network connections i see the connections in the GUEST computer B and click on it and it asks for a user name and password (which i never got or set up) so i just clicked connected and then it timed out..

if you can give me step by step or give me a site that does, then that would help..

if its timeing out b.c im not sure if its a cross over cable then ill go buy one

A Patch cable has identical ends.
A Crossover cable has different ends.
See here how to identify:
http://duxcw.com/digest/Howto/network/cable/cable6.htm
Actual colors are not important, just the differences, when looking at them

I use Netsetup instead of going to create new connection

For the password (due to problems - must exist on a user account)
Log in as Administrator and No password (you can tick Save only when you confirm this works)

You will also need to share a folder somewhere, to make it easier you can start by sharing a single folder like c:\MySharedFolder

I hope this helps
Note:This is not actually step by step (there are too many !) this is just the part that you need to know !

i see what u mean by net setup, so im gonna try that, but the cable i do got is def. a patch sense both ends are identical so ill have to try all this when i go get a crossover.

thanks for all the help i appreciate it a lot.

am i gonna need a network hub or a switch or anything? or can i just get a cross over cable and plug one end to computer a and the other into computer b.

i already ran netsetup in run command for both computers b.c they still aren't finding each other so im gonna guess its b.c the cable i got is not crossover and im gonna get one but i keep reading some websites saying u need a hub or as witch so im just making sure if u do or not

g0d53nd said:
but i keep reading some websites saying u need a hub or as witch

The hub or switch option, allows multiple ports
ie one Internet (Patch cable) in from the modem, lots (~ 6) of Computer (patch cables) out.

To be even clearer !

I use a wireless Modem Router (Modem + Hub)
My Router (router for short description) has:
an ADSL phone line in
a wireless aerial on top
And 6 network ports to attach 6 patched Computers
Therefore I can have 2 computers, wireless or patched, and also have a networked (patched again) shared printer.
I believe this is the best way

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back