Can't download YouTube videos

R

Raymond Solema

I have a desktop icon for Youtube, and I have downloaded the newest version of Realplayer I should be able to open up Youtube. Type in a song in the space provided. Find the song click on it and it will start playing Then hover my cursor over the top of the video.A should see a pop up that says download this video.I should, then, be able to click on that pop up and a window will open with the title of the song. I can watch the bar go across as the song is recording.. My first problem was, I would click on where it said download this video. Either nothing would happen, Or the song title would show in the window.but it wouldn't download. Instead it would have "unable to download this video in greyed out type. It's even worse now. I used Revo to completely uninstall Realplayer. Then I downloaded it again. Thought that might get things working again. No such luck. Now I can't even get Download this video to pop up.
But wait there is a second part to this post I have Miro. You can open up youtube in Miro Type in a song in the space provided. Find the song, then in the upper right hand corner you will see download this song.Over on the left side you will the number 1 next to the word video. when the number is gone the video is downloaded. But more often than not,the number will flash on and then go off.and the words That URL is already an external download. It is downloading now.
But no download shows up anywhere.
Any ideas what might be wrong? I would be happy to get just one of the problems fixed. While I'm waiting I'm going to try downloading Realplayer one more time. Thanks

Cant help with this sorry as its copyright infringement.

Youtube are in the process of shutting down sites that allow video downloading, This may be your problem.

Cant help with this sorry as its copyright infringement.

Youtube are in the process of shutting down sites that allow video downloading, This may be your problem.

What a bunch of crap. Next thing you know they wont allow people to upload music videos onto Youtube from their own personal sources,Records, tapes and CDs.. I hope somebody is trying to fight this. Any petitions I can sign.

I'm having a problem figuring out what you're so upset about. Are you mad that they won't make it easy for you to get something that isn't yours for free or am I missing something in your initial blurb?

I don't wish to go against anybody, but I have an addon on my Firefox & SeaMonkey browsers & I occasionally look for a movie on Youtube to download so I can watch it later & then I'll delete it.
Are you telling me that is illegal ?:eek:

I'm having a problem figuring out what you're so upset about. Are you mad that they won't make it easy for you to get something that isn't yours for free or am I missing something in your initial blurb?

Don't tell me you're comparing this to the Napster/Kazaa thing. Because it is NOT the same. here somebody is sharing, for instance, an old Specialty 45 of Little Richard singing " long Tall Sally" The Specialty record Company has long been out of business so they are not losing money because I downloaded the song. Little Richards Royalties have long since ended so he is not losing money because I downloaded the song. The person that uploaded the song onto Youtube meant for the song to be shared. That's why he/she put it on Youtube. So. With all do respect, Kindly get off my case about it.:D

First... I'm not on your case -
Second... I'm trying to get some clarity as to why you think you're entitled to source media someone shared up on youtube. The way youtube's revenue stream works is through being able to target advertisements at the users of "their" service. If you decide to bypass that, then so be it, but why are you mad about not being able to?
Third... It's clearly not copyrighted material so if the user "wants" to share the media with you directly I'm sure you can contact that user and arrange a transfer using the youtube username. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with you getting your hands on it, just that I don't know why you actually seem angry about not being able to. I may be coming off as a bit of an ***, but I assure you I'm not trying to.

Don't tell me you're comparing this to the Napster/Kazaa thing. Because it is NOT the same. here somebody is sharing, for instance, an old Specialty 45 of Little Richard singing " long Tall Sally" The Specialty record Company has long been out of business so they are not losing money because I downloaded the song. Little Richards Royalties have long since ended so he is not losing money because I downloaded the song. The person that uploaded the song onto Youtube meant for the song to be shared. That's why he/she put it on Youtube. So. With all do respect, Kindly get off my case about it.:D
I'm not going to take anybodys side,but I was given this link http://www.youtube.com/t/terms in a previous post. I haven't read it yet but fully intend to do so since I don't want to get in trouble by google since they own youtube.

Second... I'm trying to get some clarity as to why you think you're entitled to source media someone shared up on youtube. The way youtube's revenue stream works is through being able to target advertisements at the users of "their" service. If you decide to bypass that, then so be it, but why are you mad about not being able to?
Third... It's clearly not copyrighted material so if the user "wants" to share the media with you directly I'm sure you can contact that user and arrange a transfer using the youtube username. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with you getting your hands on it, just that I don't know why you actually seem angry about not being able to. I may be coming off as a bit of an ***, but I assure you I'm not trying to.
As soon as the ones putting their music videos on YouTube start complaining about people downloading them Then talk to me.

Hello. I have been kind of harsh in my replies to your posts. It was uncalled for, and I hope you will accept my apology. However I still don't think it's wrong to download YouTube videos. Especially since doing so will not take money out of anybodies pocket.
You say something about them being able to target advertising at the user. I don't quite understand. Does that mean that they are bothered because if I download I will be able to watch a video without seeing the advertising? News Flash to YouTube. I don't pay any attention to the advertising, and will never buy anything I see on a YouTube Ad.. If there saying that my downloading will somehow stop them from being able to target their advertising to others. How?
Again I apologize for my harshness. I guess we will just have to agree to disagree. :0)

Hello. I have been kind of harsh in my replies to your posts. It was uncalled for, and I hope you will accept my apology. However I still don't think it's wrong to download YouTube videos. Especially since doing so will not take money out of anybodies pocket.
You say something about them being able to target advertising at the user. I don't quite understand. Does that mean that they are bothered because if I download I will be able to watch a video without seeing the advertising? News Flash to YouTube. I don't pay any attention to the advertising, and will never buy anything I see on a YouTube Ad.. If there saying that my downloading will somehow stop them from being able to target their advertising to others. How?
Again I apologize for my harshness. I guess we will just have to agree to disagree. :0)

As far as ads go on youtube , logged in or not, I don't see ANY ads cause I, like many others I'm sure, use adblock plus.,but I know they are there so if it is in fact illegal to download from youtube, I'd rather quit doing such than getting a nasty notice if thats what they'd do.

Youtube’s Terms of Service

When you use the site you are agreeing to abide by its terms. This is a contractual relationship between you the user and YouTube. YouTube’s Terms of Service state:

“Content is provided to you AS IS. You may access Content for your information and personal use solely as intended through the provided functionality of the Service and as permitted under these. You shall not download any Content unless you see a “download” or similar link displayed by YouTube on the Service for that Content. You shall not copy, reproduce, distribute, transmit, broadcast, display, sell, license, or otherwise exploit any Content for any other purposes without the prior written consent of YouTube or the respective licensors of the Content. YouTube and its licensors reserve all rights not expressly granted in and to the Service and the Content.”

In other words, unless there is a download link for the video, downloading it using a YouTube downloader tool would violate the YouTube Terms of Service contract you agree to by using the site. The existence of intellectual rights on the videos is another, independent consideration.

Important clarification: TechSpot is strictly committed to legality and will not entertain illegal content or assist in any illegal actions. Now, I'm not preaching or telling anybody he shouldn't download YouTube videos, and I'm not even saying I haven't done this myself. I am merely informing on the legal aspect of the activity and on TechSpot’s general policy regarding legality of posted material and advice.

When you use the site you are agreeing to abide by its terms. This is a contractual relationship between you the user and YouTube. YouTube’s Terms of Service state:

“Content is provided to you AS IS. You may access Content for your information and personal use solely as intended through the provided functionality of the Service and as permitted under these. You shall not download any Content unless you see a “download” or similar link displayed by YouTube on the Service for that Content. You shall not copy, reproduce, distribute, transmit, broadcast, display, sell, license, or otherwise exploit any Content for any other purposes without the prior written consent of YouTube or the respective licensors of the Content. YouTube and its licensors reserve all rights not expressly granted in and to the Service and the Content.”

In other words, unless there is a download link for the video, downloading it using a YouTube downloader tool would violate the YouTube Terms of Service contract you agree to by using the site. The existence of intellectual rights on the videos is another, independent consideration.

Important clarification: TechSpot is strictly committed to legality and will not entertain illegal content or assist in any illegal actions. Now, I'm not preaching or telling anybody he shouldn't download YouTube videos, and I'm not even saying I haven't done this myself. I am merely informing on the legal aspect of the activity and on TechSpot’s general policy regarding legality of posted material and advice.
Thanks bobcat. I'll slap my own hand & go sit in the corner :)

I accept your apology - and really I'm not trying to be difficult. It's written in the rules at youtube not to do so but as bobcat said, " I'm not preaching or telling anybody he shouldn't download YouTube videos, and I'm not even saying I haven't done this myself. I am merely informing on the legal aspect of the activity and on TechSpot’s general policy regarding legality of posted material and advice."

It can be done and it's not terribly difficult, but we can't help you with it here and I can't promise you that Google won't be contacting you if you do figure it out, although it's pretty unlikely.

I too am sorry if what I was trying to get across was coming off as rude.

Thanks for the information on YouTubes policy on Downloading. It might make me stop downloading. On second thought. Probably not.;)

If downloading a Youtube video is illegal ( Apparently Most Are ), then why does Real player put a 'Download This " pop-up ? Looks to me like Real Player would need o stop putting a pop up in their player.

If downloading a Youtube video is illegal ( Apparently Most Are ), then why does Real player put a 'Download This " pop-up ? Looks to me like Real Player would need o stop putting a pop up in their player.
A related question is why is there an addon one can install on their browser to do same.
I for one don't need the hassle of getting in trouble so if there is a movie I want to watch at a later time,its just as easy to bookmark it.(y)

Real Player is skating the line between software and malware. Has been for many years now. I refuse to deploy it at my place of employment - I told them it was a virus and I refuse.

Alas the Download pop up is gone.

A related question is why is there an addon one can install on their browser to do same.
I for one don't need the hassle of getting in trouble so if there is a movie I want to watch at a later time,its just as easy to bookmark it.(y)
Your such a wimp. Only kidding Buddy. ;0)

A related question is why is there an addon one can install on their browser to do same. [FONT=Times New Roman][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][/FONT]
I haven’t gone thru Real Player’s or any other download tool’s/addon’s EULA, but I’m pretty sure they contain terms to the effect that you should only use the facility to download legal content and they pass on the responsibility for this on the user himself. After all, many tools can be employed for illegal purposes but are not per se illegal.

Independently of the above, regarding Real Player, I fully second LNCPapa’s assertions on it. For a long time now it’s considered one of the evils of internet and has on occasions been unmasked as such. I had unwittingly installed it many years ago, but got rid of it when my firewall kept informing me that it was trying to take over various activities that shouldn’t concern it. Consequently, my advice is to keep it away from your computer.

Back