Can't get past bios... defective motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday I picked up a Sempron 2800 and an Asus K8V-X and put it all together (with an old windows-installed IDE HD, a new unformatted SATA HD, cd rom, cd writer, dvd rom, floppy, enermax 480W psu, 512mb ram, geforce3 ti -- all components have been tested and work fine except the new mobo/cpu).

First I had problems with error 0163 which is because it needed a BIOS update. So I got the files from the Asus website and flashed the BIOS, after which it recognized my cpu fine and all...

but I can't boot into windows, and I don't know why. I have an old IDE hard drive with windows already installed on it - if I try to boot from this I have to go through the bios setup, then it asks me which mode of windows to boot from, then the system restarts and the process repeats.

If I try to boot from the windows disk (in my dvd-rom drive) so that I can install it/format my new SATA hard drive (by unplugging the IDE HD or making it a slave) I have to go through the bios setup, and then after that I just get a blank screen with a cursor but the system is locked up and I can't do anything.

It also randomly decides to not detect certain drives (cd rom, cd writer, dvd rom, and ide hd).

I've tried resetting the CMOS and flashing the BIOS again, but it makes no difference. Is there anything else I can try to get this to work? Or is it a defective motherboard? :(

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Okay, after looking up info/asking around I'm wondering if it's a power issue. The bios is reporting the Vcore voltage as 1.408V. Isn't that a bit on the low side? (All other voltages seem okay.) Could this be causing the problem? And uh, could someone tell me how to fix this? Do I just set it manually in the BIOS?

Thanks. :wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back