Can't get to the HDD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruce2

Hi there,

Just got my Vista 46 bit installed and had it running smooth so far. One problem arrived is that I am unable (or don't know how) to access the additional SATA HDD which is shown in bio setups and Device Manager. It was working perfectly before with 32 bit. Also it is strange that it shown up in Device Manager as : maxtor 7H500F0 SCSI Disk. Why SCSI not SATA??? Try to update driver, but it says the existing one is the newest. Advice please.

Thanks, Bruce

Hmm maybe disable it and reinstall the driver. Right now I am upset can't get my NEW HD Videocard to show stuff.

thats 64-bit drivers right??
32bit will not work on 64bit machine setup
this is only about hardware
It could be as simple as taking ownership of the drive
may not have a drivers issue
if you see it in CM then disk management right click on the drive listed and go to properties security advanced and take ownership of drive

Sometimes the BIOS has a mind of it's own.....

My first impulse is to tell you to unplug it, and get the new OS up and running on 1 drive.
If this new drive has not been formatted yet, you won't be able to access until you do.
There is a potential issue in the BIOS where sometimes (with auto-configure) if you have 1 HDD installed it sees the drive as IDE, and then you install 2 and it wants a SATA driver.
This usually happens before the OS is installed.
I'm using Ubuntu at the moment so I can't give you an exact path, but go into computer management or possibly device manager and deal with the drive there. You're looking for "disk management". I have an old brain cell issue, for this I'm sorry. Post back when you have more info.

I went to Administrative Tools, then Computer Management and then storage - Disk Management. I think this works because the drive has its letter assigned and is being format right now. Thanks.

But it is funny that "Administrative Tool" is not in my Control Panel other wise I might have bumping into it earlier; I have to locating it with a search. It is not in there probably because I clicked on "public place" instead of "home" or "office" during installation. I thought it may be better in security if I say "public place".

pcguy20, I hope you get your NEW HD Videocard working soon. Wish I can help.

Thanks again! You guys rock!!

It's Normally in Stealth Mode.......

In "Control Panel", Category View", you must click on "Performance and Maintainence" before "Administrative Tools will appear. (The pane expands).

Another thing you can do is, (in the left pane) of "Control Panel", is to click on "Switch to a Classic View", the "Administrative Tools" will have their own icon.

In either case you will be presented with a "Computer Management" icon. From there you reach "Disc Management".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back