Can't get virusscan to work in XP!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there!

I'm a newbie here and need help! We have XP and used to use Norton until it froze up our computer every time it tried to scan it. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling. Finally we got Mcafee which seemed to work for a while. Then it started doing the same thing. Now we can't get a thorough scan of our computer. It goes til about 400ish files then freezes. Ugh. As a result, we weren't scanning it very much and got a virus. Now that I've fixed that, I REALLY need to get some software on here that is going to scan without problems.

Do you have any recommendations? Or do you know why McAfee continues to freeze up? I like their features and since we are subscribed, it would be great to keep them, but I haven't found any answers on their website or elsewhere.

Thanks guys!

Have you Tried downloading and using ad-ware and spy bot out of my experince I had a very similar problem to that and I did a scan with them it caught a file delted it and then I was fine and could scan. If not try a different anti virus avg is free that might be able to complete a scan It might be a worm that attacks your antivirus program so if you get a new program that isn't the most common that many people don't have grudges against like AVG they might be able to catch them. Check out these and see if they help that's my advice I don't know if that will work but it's worth a shot.

Thanks for the tips, especially on avg and spybot. I'm not that familiar with what is out there, so I will give those a try and see if it helps! I hope so! Thanks! :)

If you can get the machine to boot properly and get online i would suggest traveling to TrendMicro's site and running an online malware scan...
Let it fix whatever it finds.
There are some new baddies out in the wild that will dis-able your AV no matter what flavor you are running.

patio. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back