Cant install heatsink on mobo

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi guys

a couple of weeks ago i removed my heatsink + fan on my cpu and cleaned it because it was almost caked with dust. upon reinstalling it i encountered the question of how much force to use with those damn clips. eventually i summoned enough courage and forced the clip on and it seemed to have worked fine.

i turned on my pc and all was good until i heard a loud crack. i immediately turned it off and looked inside the case to find that my heat sink had fallen off and the noise was caused by it hitting my graphics card. fortunately my graphics card it ok but my problem is... the black rectangular thing that sits on the motherboard that the heat sink clips onto is broken.... the little black nobby bit at the non-clip end of said black rectangular thing must have snapped off...

does anyone know how i can replace this? is there anything i can do apart from buying a new mobo? ive been running my pc on its side with the heatsink lying on the processor and im considerably worried about this however i have no other option at present....

thanks for your time =]

Now we need the brand and model of the computer, or the motherboard.
The clips are available... but they are difficult to find.
On Dells, I order the clips from the Philippines, but they are made in the United States. Go Figger.

Contact ASUS. They will sell you a new bracket for $15... or buy from Cyber Guys or on ebay. They are usually called something similar to this ( Intel P4 Socket 478 CPU Heatsink Retention Bracket ), depending, of course, on your processor and socket... usually run $4.95 to $15.95. Or you can buy throw-away boards for parts for $10 on eBay.
Ask also your motherboard supplier, NewEgg, Directron, ZipZoomFly, Outpost, Tech Depot, PCMall, and so on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back