cant log onto safe mode without domain

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am attempting to kill a virus (could be spyware) using spyware dr. it was advised to me to log into safe mode first...then run the spyware program. I have tried using the f8 and f5 method and it does take me to safe mode...HOWEVER, it wants me to log on. When i try, it tells me to specify a domain. I don't see any way to specify one

sorry... i should add that im using windows xp pro...

Well, if your are trying to do spyware cleanup, i am to assume your are selecting "Safe mode with networking". This will prompt you with a login screen, as compared to going in through standard "Safe mode". I suggest when you get into safe mode, click where it has the domain and select the option that ends in (This Computer). Type administrator as the user, and leave the password feild blank. See if that logs you in. If not you will need to know what the administrator password is. Good luck and post your results.

That did get me into safe mode, thanks. the tech guys at spyware dr. wanted me to run the scan in safe mode without networking. I don't know what differance it makes. I logged into safe mode, turned off system restore, changed the 'view' in folder options to "show hidden files and folders", then i ran the scan. It found 15 problems and i fixed those. the prob. is, that when i tick the browser guard to "on" (in spyware Dr.) , my computer slows to a crawl and i get a pop up every sec. saying "Detected a new BHO."Unknown". this was unregistered" as far as i understand...it is finding a hijacker and removing it. This goes on for as long as i have the browser guard activated...it never stops.

there may be more than one infection that is still resident on your system.. use the link in my previous post and make a new thread in the security forum to clean out your system completely.

Domain? Is this (or was this) computer part of a domain, ever?

In safe mode, you may need to type in your user name and password. If you've never had to enter a user name and password, perhaps the computer has been setup so it automatically logs in and under safe mode, it no longer does so.

You may have the option of choosing your own computer as the domain and as long as you know the administrator name / password, you'll be able to login. Once you get into safe mode, I'd recomend getting rid of the 'domain' stuff if you don't need it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back