Can't see computer on network

Status
Not open for further replies.
After installing a new Windows XP computer on my home wifi network I was able to get the computer onto the internet with no problem. It found the home network and asked for the encryption key. The problem is that I can not see the new computer in My Network Places from my main computer. When I do a search for the new computer name it will sometimes find it, and other times report that it doesn't exist. When a search does find it, and I double click the icon, I get a message telling me I can't view it.

From the main computer I can ping the new computer IP address and sometimes (not always) I will get a good return response. Mostly I get a timeout. I suppose this might be the reason why a search occasionally finds the new computer, and other time does not. The wifi signal strength is excellent, so it's not a problem of the signal dropping out.

If I look for the main computer from the new computer with a search from My Network Places it is found, but I get the same "can't view" error message when I try to open it. But strangely, if I ping the main computer IP address from the new computer I get a good return every time. Then, after performing a ping, I am able to view the main computer and open its files. If I reboot the new computer I can no longer view the main computer until I perform another ping, then it works fine. This procedure works 100% of the time, but only when working at the new computer. Nothing seems to work when looking for the new computer from the main computer.

Firewall on the new computer is on, but I've tried it with the firewall turned off. I am at a total loss over this behavior. There are 4 computers on this network and all of them see each other and share files just fine, except the new one.

Any ideas for a solution are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim

Hi, thanks for the reply. Strangely, I did set the workgroup name to the correct name during installation. Then later, after problems started, I checked it and found that it had somehow reset to the default name. I changed it back and have since rechecked to verify that it has not changed and it is correct.

I have a wifi laptop that is constantly, well just recently, dropping off the network and stays off untill I turn off the wireless and turn it back on again, try changing to a wired connection as temp fix and see if the fault persists, if so change the channel on your wifi connection and see if that cures it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back