Can't See Folder I Want To Backup In DOS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

So my comp crashed. When I boot it up I get an error message

“Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: windows\system32\config\system”

So I decided to run recovery console. I did chkdsk /r/p and still didn’t work so I tried the copy the “system, software, sam, security, default” thing in the config folder but it wouldn’t allow me (when I “dir” the config folder I get “an error occurred during directory enumeration”).

So yeah, I gave up and decided to backup a few things and format. I got 2 hard drives, c: where windows is in and d: with just files in it, so I want to transfer a few things from c: to d.

Recovery Console only has the COPY command so it wouldn’t allow me to copy a folder I want to backup (can’t use wildcards even when I did set allowwildcards = true). Did a few googling and found out the command I’m looking for is XCOPY.

So then I tried programs such as XXCOPY, NTFS reader, freebootdisk, NTFS4DOS. When I boot it up, I can’t see the folder I want to backup (C:\Downloads) and some of my other folders (D:\Movies, etc) but in Recovery Console, I see everything, not these programs though. Also, Recovery Console shows C:\Documents and Settings, whereas these programs show C:\DOCUME~1 with missing folders and files.

So is there a way I can copy my C:\Downloads folder to my D:\ drive, like what bootable program I can use since I can’t start windows open can boot from cd.

Thanks.

Hi

The ultimate boot cd is what I used to get those DOS programs from. It just can't seem to detect some of my folders for some reason. I don't know any others I can try that would work.

Actually I use the Linux (Ubuntu) live CDs (which don't hurt data)

But the folder must be marked as hidden, that you're trying to get to.
You should still be able to change folder to it anyway CD \Downloads <enter>

Edit:

If you are on X (or any other drive), you will need to change to your HardDrive first
C: <enter> (assuming C Drive is your HardDrive)
CD\ <enter> (to get to the root of the drive)
CD Downloads <enter> (To change to the C:\Downloads folder)
Dir <enter> (to view the contents)

I edited my post above

But if you are changeing to the correct spelling folder in the correct drive, and it doesn't show, that means it's not there (Hidden or system or normal doesn't matter)

The folder is there. I made the folder myself plus I can see it in Recovery Console which shows everything, while other DOS program doesn't show a few of my folders and files. Don't know why though.

hey

i managed to backup my download folder. i used Linux Puppy Live CD which shows all my files and folders and can copy. i guess those DOS program sucks then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back