Can't uninstall Light Scribe & Unwanted Adobe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poppa Bear

General Information.
I recently installed a Lite-On 20X DVD burner. After loading the Nero software from the accompanying CD, I found it had installed a program called Light Scribe. There was no option given to not install this program. When I tried to uninstall it, it wouldn't allow it to be done.

The only way to uninstall is to go to the Light Scribe web site, download the latest free version of the program and load over the top of the existing. The latest program provides an uninstall option. Programs that install unasked for software with no option to uninstall are top of my hit list for annihilation.

Don't know if it's changed but last month downloaded the latest free Adobe PDF Reader and it installed 4 programs, including a Beta version of Acrobat.

When I uninstalled one of the unwanted programs it totally honked my OS. Thank God for Acronis in moments like this. Had the whole 14GB OS restored in 12 minutes. Yaa Boo Sucks to Adobe.

Have found Acronis to be brilliant for both cloning from one HD to another, and creating and restoring operating systems or partitions.

logo.gif

LightScribe Download:
http://lightscribe.com/downloadSection/windows/index.aspx?id=810

To Un-install:
  1. Start-->Control Panel-->Add or Remove Programs.
  2. From the Currently installed programs list
  3. Select the LightScribe System Software and click Remove.
  4. After the uninstall process is completed. Restart your computer.

Failing that:
  1. Locate the uninstall MSI in the LightScribe Programs Folder
  2. Double Click on it and uninstall. Restart your computer

Failing that
  1. Download Windows installer cleanup utility
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301
  2. Locate LightScribe and remove it

Light Scribe

Thanks for the input.

I tried all three of those options you mentioned but still could not remove it.

The only work around I found was as described in my post... ie install the lastest Light Scribe over the one already loaded and this updated program gave an uninstall option. To find out more I re-did the whole thing from the start and found that after loading the latest Light Scribe over the top of the old one, I could also now use Windows Add/Remove Programs option successfully.

ps it probably could be removed using third party software such as Advanced Uninstaller Pro.

Cheers Poppa Bear

I should've said that too (Install over top, then uninstall ! Doh! )

Anyway, here's that other (free) program MyUninstaller

I realize you don't need it anymore though

My Uninstaller

Thanks Kimsland,

Appreciate the input. I used to have Advanced Uninstaller, but it got lost along the way somewhere, so I'm glad to get any additional uninstall programs, and will defintiely download the link you gave to MyUninstaller and get the program.

Cheers Bernie

You should give Foxit Reader a shot next time you are in that situation, its small, and opens PDFs just fine.

Thanks

Hi Tracy and SNGX1275

Thanks for the input from both of you. Have downloaded Revo Uninstall and works a treat. Ditto Foxit. Love the simplicity yet effectiveness of both programs.

Cheers Bernie Poppa Bear

General Information.
I recently installed a Lite-On 20X DVD burner. After loading the Nero software from the accompanying CD, I found it had installed a program called Light Scribe. There was no option given to not install this program. When I tried to uninstall it, it wouldn't allow it to be done..
Ok, here's the part of this I don't understand. "Light Scribe" is a CD labeling utility that usually comes with "Light Scribe" CD & DVD burners. If the burner you installed is equipped with "Light Scribe", I'm not exactly certain why you wouldn't want it in your machine. The utility should be fairly benign, and someday you might want to treat yourself to a batch of light scribe discs and try your hand at label design.
Point being, this program isn't adware or anything like it.

[Don't know if it's changed but last month downloaded the latest free Adobe PDF Reader and it installed 4 programs, including a Beta version of Acrobat.

Yaa Boo Sucks to Adobe...
You're right here. Adobe is a pain in the a** with adware and trial programs, although I don't remember an Adobe program that didn't have an uncheck box for unwanted software. Of course, maybe things have changed.

I've never tried "foxit", maybe I should. But I do keep old versions of Adobe reader around, so that I don't have to deal with the latest really, really bloated version. Adobe Reader 6.0 is about where I get off.

One possible reason that you had such difficulty uninstalling "Light Scribe" is that it might share a couple of DLLs with another part of the Nero Suite. InCD is one such part of Nero that you shoudn't ever try to disable or remove

Thanks for input Captaincranky

Yep it's true Light Scribe is not adaware and is benign. However, it's just that I don't ever do labels on CDs, just texta... crude but quick, simple and effective. Also the notification area of my desktop is already jammed with mega items which have no option to remove and don't like unnecessary programs taking up space. If I ever need it can reload Light Scribe.

Re Adobe, loaded the latest onto my PC and removed unwanted parts no problemo. Did a reinstall of XP for a friend which took 5 hours after saving and reloading 3rd party software, pics, music etc. Loaded Adobe last and when I removed one of the ancillary programs it totally honked the whole installation. Since your reply, checked the Adobe download and there is no option to leave out any of the installation programs. I'm using IE7. Maybe if I used a different browser I could?

Cheers PB

Cheers PB

Another Yeah! for the FoxIT Reader! Adobe should be ashamed of all the junk it brings with it's reader- some already checked on download site. the FoxIt Reader does the same thing without the bloat!

Yup, It's in There.......

I investigated the new Adobe Reader situation, and it's pretty ugly indeed. The reader version with all the junk is 9.xxx. However, versions 8.xxx and 7.xxx are still available for download. The scary part of this , at least to me is, that the inclusions of Acrobat and AIS seem to be a prelude to online (subsriiption) software. Adobe appears to be trying to herd it's clients toward pay as you go, you don't get a CD, we keep the code software. Frankly, this frightens me more than Vista.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back