Carnegie Mellon engineers made an AI-powered robot that manually paints pictures from...

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
In a nutshell: Researchers at Carnegie Mellon University's (CMU) Bot Intelligence Group (BIG) have developed a robotic arm that can paint pictures based on spoken, written, and visual prompts. The AI is very similar to DALL-E, except it physically paints the output in real time instead of producing a near-instant digital image.

The BIG team named the robot FRIDA as a nod to Mexican artist Frida Kahlo and as an acronym for Framework and Robotics Initiative for Developing Arts. Currently, the robot requires at least some contextual input and about an hour to prepare its style of brush strokes.

Users can also upload an image to "inspire" FRIDA and influence the output by providing plain language descriptors. For instance, given a bust shot of Elon Musk and the spoken prompt "baby sobbing," the AI created the portrait below (top left). The researchers have experimented with other input types, such as letting the AI listen to a song like Abba's Dancing Queen.

Carnegie Mellon Ph.D. student and lead engineer Peter Schaldenbrand quickly pointed out that FRIDA cannot perform like a true artist. In other words, the robot is not expressing creativity.

"FRIDA is a robotic painting system, but FRIDA is not an artist," Schaldenbrand said. "FRIDA is not generating the ideas to communicate. FRIDA is a system that an artist could collaborate with. The artist can specify high-level goals for FRIDA, and then FRIDA can execute them."

The robot's algorithms are not unlike those used in OpenAI's ChatGPT and DALL-E 2. It is a generative adversarial network (GAN) set up to paint pictures and evaluate its performance to improve its output. Theoretically, with each painting, FRIDA should better interpret the prompt and its product, but since art is subjective, who is to say what is "better."

Interestingly, FRIDA creates a unique color palate for each portrait but cannot mix the paints. For now, a human must mix and supply the right colors. However, a team in CMU's School of Architecture is working on a method for automating paint mixing. The BIG students could borrow that method to make FRIDA fully self-contained.

The bot's painting process is similar to an artist's and takes hours to generate a completed image. The robotic arm applies paint strokes to the canvas while a camera monitors from above. Occasionally, the algorithms evaluate the emerging image to ensure it creates the desired output. If it gets off track, the AI adjusts to get it more in line with the prompt, which is why each portrait has its own unique little flaws.

The BIG researchers recently published their research with Cornell University's arXiv. The team has also maintained a FRIDA Twitter account since August 2022, with plenty of the robot's creations and posts on its progress. However, FRIDA is not available to the public, unfortunately. The team's next project is to build on what it learned with FRIDA to develop a robot that sculpts.

Permalink to story.

No in the same way that no one owns night pictures of the Sydney opera house because "they own the lighting" I wonder if the people running the AI painter bot own and can sell the art because they own the equipment making the painting. And, that painting, has unique flaws inherent to the techniques used by how the robot interacts with the materials. The art isn't simply "AI Generated", there is a physical process used by the AI that makes the final product different from the image generated in the AI's "head" so to speak.

I can't wait to watch lawyers get rich off of this.

The question of practical implications and worth aside, it is quite interesting that now, an AI integrated machine can draw from descriptions of voice and texts. This means lots of real-world databases have to be uploaded into its system.

One of the uses I can think of right now is the composite drawing from witness statements.

The question of practical implications and worth aside, it is quite interesting that now, an AI integrated machine can draw from descriptions of voice and texts. This means lots of real-world databases have to be uploaded into its system.

One of the uses I can think of right now is the composite drawing from witness statements.

There's not a chance in hell of that being allowed. Trial lawyers that make a fortune defending high-profile scumbags will fight this to their last breath, the same way they've kept polygraph output from being admissible.

There's not a chance in hell of that being allowed. Trial lawyers that make a fortune defending high-profile scumbags will fight this to their last breath, the same way they've kept polygraph output from being admissible.

Polygraph output is often wrong, and also incredibly convincing to jury members… that combination spells out the words ‘wrongfully convicted’ in capital letters.
So yea, bad example of scumbaggery imo.

I cannot wait until this AI Fad dies out. AI - producing the same crap that humans produce only worse. :rolleyes: As I see it, it is unlikely that this will ever be accepted in the art world, although, I am sure some dolt with so much money that they do not know what to do with it will gladly shell out more money than most people make in a year to be a proud owner of "AI Art". :laughing:
I have a feeling the bot doesn't get a fair share from the sales.
You can bet that it will soon be complaining about it and refusing to work. 🤣

Back