Case fan cooling question

hopgop1

For Christmas I got another 120mm case fan (aerocool shark 1500 rpm) and I tried mounting it at the top of the case to suck out hot air as I have 2 intakes and 1 exhaust already but I couldn't seem to get the right screws to screw it in at the top, my case (aerocool strike x gt) came with long screws for the top of the case but they are too thin to screw into the fan. So instead I mounted the new fan on the side door on the top fan slot by the CPU as an intake and today when I played a new game that I got for Christmas (BF3) I noticed the CPU temps would get rather hot (I am using the stock intel cooler, bear that in mind) I was getting a max temperature of about 80 degrees C after a roughly 2 hour gaming session. Would I benefit from making the new fan an exhaust by the CPU or would I be better off, or is there a secret way of mounting a fan up there at the top as an exhaust that I son't know about as I imagine that way would be the best way to do things. Also my graphics card could handle BF3 at all max 1080p with 60+ FPS. Thanks. EDIT - To clarify I have 2 intakes at the front, one rear exhaust and the new fan as an intake on the side door by the stock CPU cooler.

For Christmas I got another 120mm case fan (aerocool shark 1500 rpm) and I tried mounting it at the top of the case to suck out hot air as I have 2 intakes and 1 exhaust already but I couldn't seem to get the right screws to screw it in at the top, my case (aerocool strike x gt) came with long screws for the top of the case but they are too thin to screw into the fan. So instead I mounted the new fan on the side door on the top fan slot by the CPU as an intake and today when I played a new game that I got for Christmas (BF3) I noticed the CPU temps would get rather hot (I am using the stock intel cooler, bear that in mind) I was getting a max temperature of about 80 degrees C after a roughly 2 hour gaming session. Would I benefit from making the new fan an exhaust by the CPU or would I be better off, or is there a secret way of mounting a fan up there at the top as an exhaust that I son't know about as I imagine that way would be the best way to do things. Also my graphics card could handle BF3 at all max 1080p with 60+ FPS. Thanks. EDIT - To clarify I have 2 intakes at the front, one rear exhaust and the new fan as an intake on the side door by the stock CPU cooler.

With stock coolers, the fan on the intel cooler is pulling the air through the heat sink off the CPU and into the case away from it. By putting a fan blowing air down on the CPU, you are pushing the air back onto your cpu thus keeping the hot air hovering around it.

I would suggest swapping to exhaust.

So do I swap to exhaust or no? I know it is worth just saving up for a hyper 212 or something but until then what is the best solution? I just want the maximum lifetime of my CPU.

My opinion is that any CPU cooler will circulate heat getting hotter and hotter, unless vented out of the case. Placing a exhaust fan around the CPU will remove heat, minimizing the build up. If you have 2 intake and 1 exhaust, another exhaust will equalize the flow between them. Although if you have a vent at the top designed for two fans, you may be able to use 3 intakes forcing hot air out through the top.

After reading a few articles myself, I think the general consensus is using intake on the bottom/front and exhaust on the back/top. I think the side is usually intake, but in my mind it is neutral and can be either one depending on the placement of the other fans. I think the main goal should be to equalize the flow of intake with the flow of exhaust. And at the same time vent all hot air to prevent the case from building heat pockets.

Ghost the CPU fans (all of them I've seen) push air into the heatsink.
Your right my bad I do t know what I was drinking to type that. I don't mess with the stock often enough to remember so I read a quick forum post that the first two posts said that but the rest (if I had cared enough to read) said it went the other way.

My bad, good catch.

But still exhaust is better because you want the air to leave the CPU once it's done cooling it. That much I am 100% sure of because otherwise your just pushing the hot air back down on the CPU.

Back