Catalyst 11.8 delivers 20% performance boost in Black Ops, more

Matthew

Released late last month in preview form for 64-bit Windows 7 users, AMD's Catalyst 11.8 driver suite has now received Microsoft's nod of approval. If you installed the prerelease build…

Read the whole story

DeliciousPie

Drivers that make a noticable difference are always nice.

We all know how important it is to keep them up to date, but when you can actually feel a change, well, that kicks ***.

G

these drivers come a day after i upgrade to a 2500K and P8P67 EVO with two 6950 2GB's... life is good.

NTAPRO

Forgive me for the question but I don't exactly understand the relationship between frames and fps games. I don't mean it in exactly that way but it's just hard to explain. I play emulators online. And for the one that I play the most, 59.95-60 is the desired amount of fps.

red1776

NTAPRO said:
Forgive me for the question but I don't exactly understand the relationship between frames and fps games. I don't mean it in exactly that way but it's just hard to explain. I play emulators online. And for the one that I play the most, 59.95-60 is the desired amount of fps.
I think you are speaking of :

FPS = Frames per second

...and

FPS= First person Shooter

dividebyzero

And for the one that I play the most, 59.95-60 is the desired amount of fps.
That pretty much goes for FPS (First person shooters) also. A minimum of ~30 fps gives the impression to the human eye of relative smoothness. An average of ~60 is in line with the more common monitor refresh rate.

i wish nvidia would make performance increases
In other news...startling new evidence of inter-species breeding. Film at eleven

NTAPRO

red1776 said:
NTAPRO said:
I think you are speaking of :

FPS = Frames per second

...and

FPS= First person Shooter
Yeah I probably shouldn't have abbreviated both of them.

G

Id really like to update to these drivers, but everytime i update it causes my crossfire to stop working. To fix it, i have to remove 1 card, reinstall drivers, shut down PC, install second card again, reinstall drivers, reboot. Such a pain. Next card will be green. Will never run multi card setup again.

Lionvibez

Guest said:
Id really like to update to these drivers, but everytime i update it causes my crossfire to stop working. To fix it, i have to remove 1 card, reinstall drivers, shut down PC, install second card again, reinstall drivers, reboot. Such a pain. Next card will be green. Will never run multi card setup again.
Crossfire and SLI have always been a pain in the *** it took your hundreds of dollars in hardware to figure this out?

Do you not read internet forums?

G

Holy crap your right. My WEI went from 7.7 to 7.8 on graphics. Way to go AMD!!!

Relic

AMD said:
Known issues under the Windows 7 operating system: Battlefield ? Bad Company 2 may randomly hang after a period of game play.
Meh, was hoping this would be resolved :( .

G

Oh wow. I thought that was just a heat issue. Pain in the *** that is. Hasn't happened since update though.

I recently updated to catalyst 11.8. I fully uninstalled the previous version and ran driver sweeper in safe mode before installing 11.8. I didn't run in to any problems during installation, however my pc will not run correctly with this version of drivers. I got a noticeable performance boost in Portal 2, but got a serious performance drop in Black Ops. Not to mention I ended up having to downgrade because these drivers caused DirectX to crash constantly, no matter what game I tried, and even caused BSOD's from some of the driver's .sys files. I have never had any issue when updating my catalyst drivers and cant find any posts on the net with the problems I'm having. Is anyone out there having these issues?