CD burner will not "auto" anything ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend & I both have the same type of system. Xp Home on ASUS motherboard with Duo Cure 2.1Ghz processor. He has 1 Gig DDR2, I have 2 Gig. Both PCs have a current model Pioneer DVD burner.

On either PCs XP does not seem to see the Drive when a blank CD is inserted ( I'm referring only to CDR-W as DVD-W are not apparently fully supported under XP) as no prompt for action is displayed. If we try dragging a file onto the optical drive icon it comes up with a statement that "x: is not accessible Incorrect Function."
Yet, reading is no problem and burning on CD or DVD in Nero is fine.
Turning on and selecting an action in Autoplay is not working.
With removal drives or floppies the alerts are all working as expected.
We are unable to burn audio tracks in the latest MS Media Player.
If we put an audio CD in it does activale media player and autoplay the first track.

Any ideas, please?

Hi and welcome to techspot. Have you enabled or disabled any windows services? If you don't know what I am talking about, click start ---> click on run ---> type services.msc and hit enter. scroll down to "imapi cd burning com service" and make sure it is enabled and running. Another thing to consider is that if you have Nero installed, it has a feature called InCD i think, which essentially does the same thing. Nero might even disable the built-in windows burning feature by default for all I know.

Thanks..
I've since gone to Vista where even DVD burning is offered whern a blank disc is inserted.. I still have XP on a spare drive until I'm sure I want Vista ( looking encouraging.. few snags but most fixable..)

I'll get back when I check

Thanks

I went back and checked.. I enabled that service and rebooted but it stil ldoesnt come up with an action request screen. I know about InCd but our query is related to XP more out of interest than desperation.
I noticed again that XP must go and look at the drive after the CD is inserted as the pointer on Desktop doesnt a little wiggle for a second or so.. but no prompt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back