CD/DVD Burner not working

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello

This is my first post here, and I suscribed specifically to address this issue... I boght a new Asus laptop a few months ago. I had used its DVD burner to burn one DVD, and it worked well, but then yesterday, I attempted to burn a CD, both in windows and in Linux, with various programs, and the result was always the same: The program would go through the motions, report the cd complete, and the CD would remain blank (and usable), just as if I had simulated burning, but every time I checked this was not the case. Any ideas?

On that note...

I might do that (if I happen to find my proof of purchase...), but in the meantime, does it sound like a known issue? A fixable one even?

There are some posts on this forum by people who have found or created software fixes...

I just replace them, because I don't have the time it requires to search for and tweak a repair. If they are bad, but are fixed by firmware, they don't stay fixed.

I don't know anybody who has had good luck with the ASUS drives... but then there are not that many of them either.

In our experience, the optical drive is a high failure item, but it varies for laptops... Teac, and Toshiba, and IBM (made by H L Data Storage) have been remarkably solid.

You might check the ASUS site to see if they offer a firmware upgrade via download. Dell uses a lot of firmware updates for their optical drives, and the firmware does fix things.

You should expect a laptop optical drive will work for two years or more. Since they are mostly machine-made, I think a warranty replacement is the best choice, since so few people have experience with the ASUS drive... these are not the same people who make the generally excellent ASUS system boards... though it is the same company.

Good luck to you. Let us know what you decide to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back