Certifications: Can anyone offer advice?

3volv3d

UK here.

So I have worked in I.T. for most my time, Break / fix scenarios, installations for Banks, shops, epos, built my own pcs, gadgets, modifications, etc.
But I moved and jumped into a non skilled gig to pay rent and start a new. And now I can't get work it seems, I have no certifications, I was just able to get work before easily and now not so much.

So, I looked into Open University, college. And I am trying to work out where to get certifications that will help me not only get back into I.T. but maybe gain some knowledge.

I always see the offers of the course on Techspot and wondered if they truly give a certification that employers would be like, "ok he knows x y and z there". I just don't want to throw money away but CompTIA at college was 16 weeks and £1000 if I remember rightly. Firebrand offer some courses for £3000 - £10000 over a few days to 2 weeks. Not only does that seem crazy but I feel like 2 weeks later I get a great job and I would just stare at walls with no clue what to do. =)

So what have people used here to advance their knowledge and help get advancing within their I.T. career ?
Any help and ideas greatly appreciated, or maybe I should just turn to crime.... and be I money grabbing lawyer! =)

SOME companies that run 100% pure Microsoft may like certs, but primarily (at least in R&D) you need a BS degree in CS. Help Desk and Support may take certs. Should be listed as Requirement vs Nice to Have.

The problem with these certifications is they are TOO product specific and seldom provide good theory so as to be broadly applicable. We never interviewed persons who only held certs.

Back