Changing the name of person registered to WinXP Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyrus79

Hi all,

This may be a bit of a wierd one, but anyway...

I've decided to sell my second PC to someone at work, but I don't want to have to reinstall everything so I've removed everything I ever put on there.

The only thing is Windows is still registered to me and the person I'm selling it to wants me to change it to their name, which I think is fair enough.

Is there a way of doing this?

I vaguely remember some time ago being able to get back to the initial WinXp startup you get when you run Windows for the first time, the thing is I've forgotten how to do it (without reinstalling).

If anyone can help please let me know.

Thanks,

Peter.

It doesn't matter how much you move the files, they'll still be ways to see your files, even after you deleted them. I would suggest re-installing Windows. Do you mean the Account Name, or the name that you name the computer itself?

Most tweak programs allow you to change the registered user and organization name.

XP Tweak manager does it. or you can look through www.winguide.com and find the registry edit and change from there.

cfitzarl said:
It doesn't matter how much you move the files, they'll still be ways to see your files, even after you deleted them. I would suggest re-installing Windows. Do you mean the Account Name, or the name that you name the computer itself?

The person I'm selling it to wouldn't have a clue how to do that!

It's neither the account or computer name, it's the name that appears when you go to control panel system/general.

smore9648 said:
Most tweak programs allow you to change the registered user and organization name.

XP Tweak manager does it. or you can look through www.winguide.com and find the registry edit and change from there.

Thanks I'll give it a go.

you can use regedit and change the name in this key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\windowsNT\CurrentVersion\
the key is RegisteredOrganization and RegisteredOwner. you can changes these items.

alidabiri said:
you can use regedit and change the name in this key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\windowsNT\CurrentVersion\
the key is RegisteredOrganization and RegisteredOwner. you can changes these items.

Thanks for that, I'll remember that for future reference since I've now just reinstalled everything, probably better that way anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back