Chkdsk taking ages

Transform

Hi

I have a 500gb Hitachi HDD which seems to be causing XP to blue screen quite often. I have ran a chkdsk /r on the drive and it get to around the 75% mark in stage 4 fairly quickly but then slows down. It eventually comes down to only completing 1% each day.

I stopped it at 87% after it had been running for 3 days to run a drive test. Using the Hitachi drive test, the drive came back all clear from both the quick and advanced tests.

I have 3 questions:

1. Why is chkdsk taking so long? I have never had to wait more than maybe 8 hours for one to complete on a larger drive.

2. The drive doesn't seem to be faulty as the drive test came back all clear. Should I backup the data, wipe the drive and start over and see if chkdsk is faster afterwards?

Thanks in advance

Google for Everest Home
Install and run as Admin.

Under the Storage Icon you will find the S.M.A.R.T data which will contain all the critical
stuff as seen by the HD itself. (not the same thing as Windows Filesystem diags).

Chkdsk performs at two levels
  1. make the NTFS consistent
  2. fix media errors (ie bad blocks)
#1 is where you are spending the time, suggesting nasty things have been happening.

OMG! DON'T defrag until this is resolved!!

Hi

I have a 500gb Hitachi HDD which seems to be causing XP to blue screen quite often. I have ran a chkdsk /r on the drive and it get to around the 75% mark in stage 4 fairly quickly but then slows down. It eventually comes down to only completing 1% each day.

I stopped it at 87% after it had been running for 3 days to run a drive test. Using the Hitachi drive test, the drive came back all clear from both the quick and advanced tests.

I have 3 questions:

1. Why is chkdsk taking so long? I have never had to wait more than maybe 8 hours for one to complete on a larger drive.

2. The drive doesn't seem to be faulty as the drive test came back all clear. Should I backup the data, wipe the drive and start over and see if chkdsk is faster afterwards?

Thanks in advance

Run CHKDSK / F You could have bad index clusters on that HDD. What happen prior to this issue? Defrag won't help you here. If you blew out or wipe the disc you might have the same problem trying to re-install the OS. This means the HDD is DOU (dead on usage). So a replacement of the drive would be needed by you. The BIOS has a feature that is usually disabled that will tell you if the HDD is good or failed. This need to be enabled to see that test.

1. Yea.. chkdsk might take hours to run but it certainly shouldn't be hanging as long as it does in your case

2. I agree w/jobeard and good to check the drive Smart Data.. and suggest you also try using CrystalDiskInfo as another very hand disk tool (see pic below)

3. I'd also agree is good to be cautious to backup your data. AND!! to that extent, i'd advise you create a "sector-by-sector" image copy of your hard drive to assure you get everything.. (A "sector-by-sector" copy is slower to create and requires more space but is important to preserve everything in cases where there is any doubt as to the integrity of the hard drive

fullscreencapture721201.jpg

FYI - the drive is internal and isn't the system drive, just for storage

I turned the system on this morning and got this:

"SMART Capable and Status BAD"

I ran CrystalDiskInfo and got this:

hddow.jpg

Could you advice what to do next?

Thanks

OUCH :(

Those counts are terrible (any count greater than THRESHOLD is a problem!)

Read Error, Spin-up, Reallocated Sectors, Seek Error rate, ...

time to regroup, kick the dog, go for a long walk - -

and kiss that drive good bye.

I can see see the drive so I will firstly backup my data on it. I guess I can just RMA the drive. Are Hitachi known for this to happen to their drives? It can't be more than 6 months old!

'eya. I just found this thread via google, and ran CrystalDiskInfo on my 1TB MyBook, resulting in this:

i941 . photobucket . com/albums/ad258/anonymousbosh/cdi.gif

[cannot post an image or URL as per a 0 post count]

'was wondering what I might do to preserve the disks.

@anonymous bosh

IMHO

I think your sensor disk data is warning you the disk is likely to fail sometime soon. I'd recommend you backup your stuff ASAP. Under the circumstance you might even be best
> First just backup just your data
> Then do a full disk clone image backup (EASUS Todo backup is great freeware for that if you need it)

And buy a new hard drive

Back