Choppy mouse movement

Status
Not open for further replies.

dustinl15

I have a laptop and the mouse touchpad is really choppy when I move it, but not all the times. I tried newer and older drivers and updating the video card. It used to work fine until I re-installed Windows XP Pro on it. It does not move choppy all the time but just at random times, no matter what programs I am running. Any ideas what else I could check that would cause it.

Gateway M465
1.83 dual core
1 GB memory

Like I said it never used to give me troubles, but ever since I re-installed Windows it has.

Cannot abide touchpads myself. Plug in a USB mouse or even a PS/2 mouse except for when you forget to take it with you or are on the train....

Download new synaptics drivers from the laptop manufacturer's web site. Then remove and reinstall the synaptics touch pad software/drivers.
clean with solution of 1/2 denatured alcohol, and 1/2 distilled water. No Windex or other cleaner with ammonia in it.
Blow out the keybaord while upside down with canned air difluoroethane gas... such as Dust Off. Also blow out USB, ethernet, and modem ports.
If this is a Synaptics touch pads, you have one of the most reliable mouse systems there is. If it requires replacement, they are easy to replace and relatively inexpensive.
Alternately, use the small gray and black Logitech USB mouse commonly available at Wal-Mart, Best Buy, Target, and other such places.

Thanks for all the help guys. I tried new drivers and such. Even replaced my touchpad with a new one from Gateway and nothing fixed it. A USB mouse works fine, but at times it just doesn't work to use one so thats why I use my touchpad so much.

How did you get a synaptics touchpad mouse so fast on a holiday weekend, when Gateway takes 10 days to deliver?

I do replacements for Gateway. I had one for another computer so I just used it on mine, since I didn't want to wait.

Intersting approach - Gateway guy asks TechSpot about Gateway problem - you have to admire the lateral thinking, peeps!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back