Chromebook Pixel 2 to go on sale soon, Google confirms

Himanshu Arora

Staff

A couple of years after it was unveiled, the Chromebook Pixel -- the first Chromebook developed solely by Google -- is all set to receive an update. According to a report from Omgchrome, the search giant has confirmed that a new version of the ultra-premium laptop is coming "soon."

The announcement was made by Renee Niemi, who runs the company's Android and Chrome programs for work and education, during the TeamWork 2015 partner event. "We do have a new Pixel coming out and it will be coming out soon," she said, adding that it is not a consumer device (which means that the company would be making only a small number of them), and is actually intended to show off the potential of Chrome OS on better hardware.

She also revealed that developers and Googlers make up around 85 percent of Pixel users, which isn't exactly surprising given the fact that the original model carries a price tag of $1,299, compared to normal Chromebooks that usually set you back only a few hundred dollars.

The report also notes that while the Pixel 2 is expected to retain both the look and design of its predecessor, there would be innovations at the hardware level, for example, the device is said to feature the new reversible ‘Type-C’ USB ports.

A video of Niemi's presentation was previously available on YouTube but has since been taken offline.

Permalink to story.

I'm overcome with excitement, sitting here with bated breath, longing with anticipation, et al, blah, blah, blah. With yet another piece of equipment available that I wouldn't touch with your ten foot pole, I can concentrate on reducing my credit card debt, while not giving this newest piece of crap a second thought.....(y)

I'm overcome with excitement, sitting here with bated breath, longing with anticipation, et al, blah, blah, blah. With yet another piece of equipment available that I wouldn't touch with your ten foot pole, I can concentrate on reducing my credit card debt, while not giving this newest piece of crap a second thought.....(y)
Well alright then.

Well alright then.
Oh junior, don't pay me any mind. I'm just a senile old fart. I'm also certain, when you buy on of these Chromebooks, you'll be able to invent a use for it.

Here's the process; first you whip yourself into a hysterical frenzy, predicated on a survival need for one o' deese nu fangled gadjits. Then you order it. It comes. Then you sit down and try and figure out what to do with it. By this time, your window of opportunity to return it has passed.

Don't worry! You can always impress someone who doesn't have one yet with it.

Last edited:
Oh junior, don't pay me any mind. I'm just a senile old fart. I'm also certain, when you buy on of these Chromebooks, you'll be able to invent a use for it.

Here's the process; first you whip yourself into a hysterical frenzy, predicated on a survival need for one o' deese nu fangled gadjits. Then you order it. It comes. Then you sit down and try and figure out what to do with it. By this time, your window of opportunity to return it has passed.

Don't worry! You can always impress someone who doesn't have one yet with it.
I have an acer chromebook, does wonders for classes. Long battery life, great for taking notes, even has some SSH extensions for programming. I really like it, and it was cheap. Can't complain.

I have an acer chromebook, does wonders for classes. Long battery life, great for taking notes, even has some SSH extensions for programming. I really like it, and it was cheap. Can't complain.
So then, if I went back to school at 66, I'd be singing a different tune? :p

As I understand, you have to be online to take full advantage of the Chrome OS. Is that true?

And then there the whole bull poop about how, "you don't need a HDD anymore, just pay for our cloud storage".

M$, IMHO, has yielded a bit of ground to Google in that respect, by turning "Office", into an online, subscription based service. Once upon a time, M$ sold, "Microsoft Works", which was all the office any of us that weren't running a business really needed. In fact, more often than not, it was a preload.

With that said, you can get a free, installable, office suite, in the form of, "Office Libre", or, "Open Office", whatever the heck they're calling it these days.

There are plenty of cheap laptops around with decent battery life, thin and light, but with a self contained OS.

Besides, if you want to be thought of a a worthwhile contact, by any yuppie you might want to "network with", you'll buy a Macbook Air.

Back