CIDR and ipv6

Status
Not open for further replies.

sllewe

This really is not a specific question but more of a general thought.

I am a newbie when it comes to network right now, just getting through the intro classes. But we are learning CIDR theroy and practice. Of course it is all based on IPv4

The professor talked about how once the switch too IPv6 comes CIDR will be completely different. He did not mention how, which is why I am asking this question.

So

How soon do you think IPv6 will be common use?

And is it worth learning all of this if it is going to be "completely different"

EDIT

After a bit of my own research I must of heard the professor wrong. As far as I can tell as long as the routing protocol that supports CIDR it should work in ipv6.

The question about ipv6 still stands. Should I look into a professor that teached ipv6? Will everything I learn about Ipv4 be useless?

IPv6 is primarily about increasing the address range available for new domain names.
The concepts of IPv4 are applicable (ie subnetting, masking, routing), but the implementation allows new features to also be added.

The first place that needs IPv6 is the Internet backbone itself.
No home user has need of it, and very few commercial users do either.

I have another question, since you are the in house networking man (haha)

After setting learning how to work with a Pix firewall, I did an ipconifg (cant really remmebr why) I noticed an Ipv6 Link Local adress, since it was a networking classroom I figured it was something that I did not understand.

I got back to my dorm room, for the heck of it I checked to see if I had an adress .as well. I do.
Code:
fe80::e0c0:d131:d186:ab0b%10

The link local adress is non routable (as far as I know) and is used for a multicasting? But why the need for the ipv6? I am on the schools private network.

Sorry if this is mundane, go easy on me I am just starting to comprehend this stuff.

I would guess you're running on Vista where IPv6 was enabled by default.

You should be able to disable IPv6 without harm
(see disable Vista IPv6) and just ignore the registry stuff

As for
The link local address is non routable (as far as I know) and is used for a multicasting? But why the need for the ipv6? I am on the schools private network.
Non-routable addresses are almost always use behind a gateway router (ie boundary to your ISP)
as they add a degree of privacy and security. The Class C address range (192.168.x.x/24) is typical for home users, but large companies can use the Class A range 10.x.x.x and allow a maximum number of hostid addresses of 16,777,214.

Broadcasting: This occurs in two ways. On any subnet, the address xx.yy.zz.255 is the local broadcasting address.
You can read more here

Thank you very much jobeard. I have been working computers for a while now, but this networking stuff is very new to me. I remeber the terms taught in class, but apply them to the wrong meaning. I am sure I will have another question in a few days haha.

Thanks agian jobeard!

-Sean

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back