CityVille, world's biggest game, hits 100 million active users

Emil

Staff

In just 43 days, the newest Zynga game has managed to hit a milestone no other game has hit before. CityVille now has over 100 million active users, according to AppData.

The game launched on December 2, 2010 and grew faster than any game in history. In just 22 days, CityVille passed FarmVille, another Zynga game, to become the most popular game. At that time, we said the number of users would dip a little at some point because all games aren't played by everyone who tries them out, but right now CityVille is still growing.

Zynga's other titles are not nearly as successful as CityVille. Farmville currently has 57.1 million users, Texas HoldEm Poker has 36.3 million users, FrontierVille has 28.3 million users, and Mafia Wars has 18.8 million. Zynga reaches more than half of all Facebook users: it has 286.7 million users, which is significantly ahead of number two and number three: CrowdStar with 47.5 million users and Electronic Arts with 38.7 million users.

Like all of Zynga's games, CityVille is free, but users can spend real money on virtual goods to enhance their experience of playing the game. Zynga makes a killing in revenue every year from the sale of virtual goods. Three months ago, the company was valued at $5.51 billion, which is more than Electronic Arts.

Permalink to story.

Shoot me. I'm wondering the percentage of that 100 million that are no lifers who play it all the time. What a waste.

"CityVille now has over 100 million active users..."

Now I believe there's a big difference between that figure and those individuals who are running multiple accounts. There's some lady at work here who's daughter has TWENTY-TWO different Farmville accounts. And another lady that has SIXTEEN of her own. I don't play these dumb games, but I understand having multiple accounts makes it handy to give gifts and collectibles to other accounts.

I mean we're still talking in the tens of millions, but if having multiple accounts is the norm for these players, than that 100 million figure could actually be half or less of actual individual players playing the game.

Although I think it's absolutely retarded to "play" these games, you have to hand it to Zynga for tapping into this non-traditional "gaming" crowd to make billions.

How's that song go ?.....

“Paper-thin, paper-weight
How’s that demographic?
A dis empowered herd
Minds cloud with static
Minds cloud with static

Lowest Common denominator…”

Lowest Common Denominator –Napalm Death

100 million noobs, what a waste of PC's, they should fax their PC's to me so i can power up my development of Skynat.

I started playing CityVille because I can take a quick break from doing homework/reading and open this in a browser and play.

I may have played this but I think that this and farmville is stupid. It's demanding for you to get on at certain times where as I like to get on when ever i want to.

Hmm...I have no idea what this supposed game even is. :S

And by the sound of it...I probably wouldn't care.

To develop something that has 100 million users (probably ~65-70 million if you take into account the multiple user accounts) is still very impressive, regardless of what you think of the game. Chances are another game like this is going to come out in the next 12 months with even more users.

Surely something must be right with this game, if 100m followers is not a number to go by then what else could be that convincing.

Back