[Closed] Reinstalling Windows, but keeping a drive which had a virus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rangoon

I have a virus which is causing my browser to redirect when I click on links from a google search. The link works properly after I hit "back" and the reclick the link.

I am building a new system, and will be installing Windows onto a brand new drive. However, I plan to keep all of the hard drives currently in my system and put them in the new system. AVG says my computer is clean, but I am still getting the occasional redirect. If I put these drives (including the system drive) into the new computer, but none of them will be my C: drive in the new computer, how likely is it that something from these drives infect the new C: drive?

Once the migration is complete and everything is solid, I will delete the old Windows folder and anything related to the old OS/user accounts, etc.

Thanks!

Well, it looks like that drive is infected.

The only safe way to reuse that drive is to back up your data and format the drive.
Then scan all backed up data with your AV program.

Okay, thanks. I will do what I can to sift through only the data I need, back that data up, and format the drive.

It seems to me it would make more sense to try and identify the malware and remove it. Even though AVG may come up clean, you can still have malware.

The main problem I see with what you want to do is that in the case of some mlaware, file infectore like Virut, Ramnit, Sality, etc, it is not advise to back up some files such as exe, .scr, .rar, .zip, .htm, .html.

If you can ID the malware, the choice is then to remove it-if it is removable- and if it's not, you will know which file types not to back up, THEN do the reformat/reinstall.

It seems to me it would make more sense to try and identify the malware and remove it. Even though AVG may come up clean, you can still have malware.

The main problem I see with what you want to do is that in the case of some mlaware, file infectore like Virut, Ramnit, Sality, etc, it is not advise to back up some files such as exe, .scr, .rar, .zip, .htm, .html.

If you can ID the malware, the choice is then to remove it-if it is removable- and if it's not, you will know which file types not to back up, THEN do the reformat/reinstall.

(Am I allowed to post in here? I read the sticky about not posting in other's threads, but this one is just [Info] and it has had 2 different posters already. if that still applies though, forgive me and prune this.)

Anyways, about the Virut, I've been infected with this in the past, and if your security tools are strong and smart enough to detect it immediately or before it does anything dangerous, you can completely remove it without needing to do a format. I got infected with that and it (in vain) tried to attach itself to EVERY FILE on my drive. The combination of Outpost with it's anti leak and NOD32 were enough that it sneaked in but once it tried doing dirty deeds, it never was successful. I'm just offering this experience as a bit of devil's advocate. It is possible to escape them unscathed.

With file infector type of of infection you may think your computer is clean after using some barrage of tools.
In reality your computer will never be considered safe to use.
That's why the only way which guarantees full recovery is hard drive formatting and clean Windows installation.
That's the word from top computer security experts.

With file infector type of of infection you may think your computer is clean after using some barrage of tools.
In reality your computer will never be considered safe to use.
That's why the only way which guarantees full recovery is hard drive formatting and clean Windows installation.
That's the word from top computer security experts.
Yes, I understand that it's not considered safe but I'm just saying it is possible to fully remove or prevent things, even if highly unlikely.

I'm just saying it is possible to fully remove or prevent things, even if highly unlikely.

As 2 of us have already told you: 1. It depends what the malware is and 2. If it is a file infector like Virut, NO

I'm going to close this thread now, because this really isn't the right forum for this type of discussion to continue.

If you decide to try and find the malware, see if it can be removed, pleae start a new thread, describing the problems and doing the following:

Please follow these steps: Preliminary Virus and Malware Removal.

NOTE: If you already have any of the scanning programs on the computer, please remove them and download the versions in these links.

When you have finished, leave the logs for review in your next reply .
NOTE: Logs must be pasted in the replies. Attached logs will not be reviewed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back