CMOS Switch Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

lokem

Noticed this useful mod over at www.coolerhut.com:

CMOS Switch mod
http://www.coolerhut.com/CMOSmod.html

Necessity is the mother of all invention, or so the saying goes. With the purchase of the new Shuttle AK31A it became necessary for me to figure out a way to clear the darn cmos without pulling the case out, unplugging all the cables, pulling the side cover, unplugging the side blo-hole fan, well you get the point. The simple task of clearing the cmos was a grand pain in my posterior. I am an overclocker, and as some of you know sometimes you get a little over zealous in the settings. On most of the better boards that is usually no problem, my old Abit KT7R being one of those. If you tried for just a tad too much, the Abit forgave you, you just re-booted, went into the bios and fixed things. Not so with the Shuttle AK31A, you try for just one more mhz than it wants and it is a major undertaking to get things back to normal. While this mod is not a new one, nor original I can't take credit for it. I saw one of these things a long time ago, and stuck the idea back in the dark dusty recesses of my brain. With the Shuttle being the most frustrating board I have every owned, that mod idea made its way to the forefront of my mind. So here is a quick and dirty how to, nothing fancy but I hope you get enough of the details for you to try this your self. What will you need for this? Well lets take a look at a picture, I'll list the goodies later.

I'm sure quite a lot of us here will need this mod :D

Thats a good mod..When I overclock my MSI K7 Master too far, I need to reset the CMOS to get my comp to reboot again. With this mod I wouldnt need to get into the case to remove a jumper. Not a bad idea...

I was surprised to see my friend resetting his BIOS by just holding on to the SHIFT key on his ABIT mobo.

Just wished that other mobo manufacturers could do that as well. It's a whole lot easier than doing this mod if we've got that feature ;)

I can do the same thing with my Abit board. I just love the overclockability of these boards. Long live Abit!!!

Muhahahaha...:evil:

I can do better than that - my motherboard goes back to default speed if I overclock it too high :D. It tries to boot, thinks something for a few seconds, then reboots, speed set at whatever I've set as default. But even if I had to clear the whole CMOS, I wouldn't need this, as my case is always open. It's a useful mod, however.

Originally posted by Mictlantecuhtli
I can do better than that - my motherboard goes back to default speed if I overclock it too high :D. It tries to boot, thinks something for a few seconds, then reboots, speed set at whatever I've set as default. But even if I had to clear the whole CMOS, I wouldn't need this, as my case is always open. It's a useful mod, however.

That's even cooler than ABIT's feature. What mobo are you using?

I know that the ABIT BH6 will return to default settings if it doesn't POST after two boot attempts. I found that to be extremely useful ^^

Amazing, didn't know Soltek had such feature. Too bad I can't get the board in my country :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back