Code 31 & code 28

steelth

My aunt has a Vaio Sony laptop,with windows vista home.Her dvd drive isn't displaying anything when you put a disk in it. so I blew air in it ,nothing happened.I went into My computer clicked on it .It said to put a disk in ,but there was 1 already. So I then went to Device manager and I seenothing wrong with the dvd but Microsoft 6to4 Adapter,Microsoft 6to4 Adapter #2,Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #2 all have code 31 errors, I tried to update the drivers but it said they wre upto date. Also I see under Other Devices, 2 unknown devices, both with code 28 errors and I can't update the drivers. There is nothing connected to this computer ,so the other devices confuse me as to what they even are.

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    28.4 KB · Views: 8
Those Microsoft adapter errors in DevMgr are related to network protocol stuff (IPv6 to IPv4) and not related to the DVD problem. (also these errors are typically meaningless and can be ignored for now)

Try this Micrsoft fixit first

Oh. And based on your dxdiag, I'm guessing those two "Unknown" Devices are related to your graphics card. Go to Sony website and trying installing the graphics drivers.

Ok, I ran Micrsoft fixit it said it fixed some problems but was unable to fix 1 problem,"being it isn't reading or writing cd/dvd's" Is it just shot? Also I went to Sony's site and page for that computer it doesn't so anything under any of the tabs on that computer but on mine it shows driver's for every piece of that computer,,,does that mean it won't show them if it's up to date? http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-home.pl?mdl=VGNCR4000&LOC=3#/downloadTab like I said it's weird cause on mine I see updates under everything but on the computer I'm working on there is nothing . thank you for your help

Re: graphics driver. That's weird. I don't know why the Sony site drivers don't show up for you. I clicked your link, selected Vista and it gave me this http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/swu-download.pl?mdl=VGNCR4000&upd_id=3895&os_group_id=10

As for the DVD, it could be shot but there's one more thing to check. Right click the DVD in Device Manager, the select Properties->Details. Use the pulldown menu to select and tell me what it displays for each of the following Upper Class Filters and Lower Class Filters. (We're only interested in the Class filters, ignore the Upper/Lower Device filters)

Sry I have been work 12 hour days, I'll try to get a hold of my aunt this weekend to answer you , again thx for all ur help

Back