Combo drives make computer lag

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sketch Meister

I am currently using a Lite On Cd/DVD combo drive, and I have a very annoying problem. Whenever it is accessed (opened, started, closed, read) it will make my computer lag tremendously! I can listen to a song or be in Ventrilo or Teamspeak, and whoever is talking, or whatever music is going when the drive is opened, will start to stutter, freeze, pause, loop, etc. I have speedupmypc and it says it is using over %50 of my computers power? I also checked Device Manager, and it is set to DMA if available. But the current transfer mode is "Not applicable" I have tried unplugging the drive, rebooting, reinstalling, etc. Nothing helps. I also bought a new combo drive to see if its just faulty, but it does the same thing. Oh and, Everest home says it is an SCSI Cdrom drive. Does that mean i need a special cable instead of using an IDE cable?

"Not applicable"? Did you check the correct channel? Are you sure it's IDE and not SATA?

Start from ground up.. How does the BIOS detect the drive? Use the pause key to stop the POST messages if they scroll past too fast.
You may have to disable any splash screens and quick boot to get a proper hardware report from POST.

I often helps to go into the Device Manager, and REMOVE the IDE channel that it's on, reboot, and Windows will find & reinstall the Drivers - generally enabling DMA.

See if that does the trick.

hi
Cant see what other drives you´re using .. but if you have the hdd on the same channel(IDE in this case) .. check your jumper config (Master, Slave or CableSelect)...

Mk. I actually figured out the cause of this problem. I reformatted my computer, (for various reasons, not just this) and the drive did not make the computer lag! So i began slowly installing drivers, and .Net frameworks and other stuff. Then I got to installing my graphics card Nvidia Forceware driver. Then the drive would have the same problem with lag. I then uninstalled the driver and the combo drive worked fine. So Idk what to do...i need the Forceware drivers.

Alright I figured it out! Apparently I had a Raid configurator that was automatically installed with my motherboard that was screwing with the IDE controllers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back