Comcast increases Internet speeds in 13 Northeastern states

Shawn Knight

Staff member

comcast boosts internet speeds northeast comcast internet speeds

Comcast has boosted the Internet speeds for customers in 14 Northeastern states. The announcement came as the cable company answered questions from Congress regarding their pending merger with Time Warner Cable.

Specifically, two of Comcast’s Xfinity Internet tiers received speed boosts. The Xfinity Internet Blast now ticks along at a speedy 105 Mbps, up from just 50 Mbps. The Xfinity Extreme 105, meanwhile, has been boosted to 150 Mbps from 105 Mbps. Perhaps a name change for the latter tier is now in order?

It’s the 13th time in the past 12 years that the service provider has raised Internet connection speeds and the second time in as many years that Blast tiers have doubled.

The good news is that customers won’t have to pay an extra cent for the increased speeds. What’s more, most customers can realize the new speeds simply by rebooting their modems.

The bad news, however, is that some may need a newer modem to take advantage of the newfound speeds. Customers are encouraged to check online to see if their modem is approved for the new speeds.

Comcast also sends word that they now have more than one million Wi-Fi hotspots across the country. Marcien Jenckes, executive vice president of consumer services, said they want customers to have Wi-Fi access wherever they are. Speed, reliability and accessibility on any device are all important and they are committed to growing their hotspots and keeping ahead of the rise in user demand, the executive added.

Permalink to story.

Does Comcast still have that 300GB softcap for bandwidth?
In my area they have no cap for now but say they will put the cap in place at probably 300GB for Blast. As much as I like faster internet I kind of want to slower just to be able to control my bandwidth easier :/ Increasing speeds while keeping the cap the same is just wrong and should not be done.

But Verizon still offers up to 500Mbps for what I would assume to be cheaper prices (If you have Fios in the area) you're talking a few thousand dollars per month vs Verizon's few hundred... With 4G LTE getting so fast, some people simply stick to their free WiFi around town and cell data elsewhere!

In my area they have no cap for now but say they will put the cap in place at probably 300GB for Blast. As much as I like faster internet I kind of want to slower just to be able to control my bandwidth easier :/ Increasing speeds while keeping the cap the same is just wrong and should not be done.
Completely agree. I used to have Comcast a few years back and while they did not confront me about going over the cap, I knew it was there and also knew people who were confronted for going over with varying responses from Comcast... I currently have Verizon FIOS and it's been nothing but good to me since switching, but it's time to renegotiate or something.

Those are top speeds. In my area of the midwest when my att uverse was down I borrowed a neighbors comcast and it was 1 M in the evening.

Regardless of how you see it, it's a duopoly everywhere in the US as you only have 1 choice from DSL provider and 1 choice from Cable provider. In my area, I'm stuck with Comcast since they have the better speed and they know it as they never budge on pricing nor will they give me any deals that others might get.

300gig cap has been suspended for 3 years now but it's supposed to be back in the future.

Anyone notice that all internet providers just gave a step up in speed? Oligopoly much?

AT&T hasn't changed their internet speed and don't expect them to anytime in the near future. I work for them so I would know if a speed increase was in the pipeline. So yeah, find a new theory.

Ridiculous how monopolized it is in the US, they should not allow the merger to go ahead.

where I live right now I have the choice between about 6 ISPs, with FTTC (Up to 80meg speed) or 150meg with Virgin FTTP (which I have) or with 4G arriving, I also have the choice of buying a 4G router with 2 mobile service providers right now (EE and Three) with more entering the market soon as more mobile operators roll out 4G. On my phone my 4G speeds tests with the app @ 25meg down, 10 up, which is really good!

I can get decent speed broadband with nearly 10 providers here!

Ridiculous how monopolized it is in the US, they should not allow the merger to go ahead.

where I live right now I have the choice between about 6 ISPs, with FTTC (Up to 80meg speed) or 150meg with Virgin FTTP (which I have) or with 4G arriving, I also have the choice of buying a 4G router with 2 mobile service providers right now (EE and Three) with more entering the market soon as more mobile operators roll out 4G. On my phone my 4G speeds tests with the app @ 25meg down, 10 up, which is really good!

I can get decent speed broadband with nearly 10 providers here!
I would love to have choices like that here, where I live there is Comcast or AT&T and AT&T DSL is so slow it is ridiculous. There are Dish companies but they are useless so it really is just Comcast for any reliable or decent speed internet and they are pricey because of that.

See what happens perhaps from my complaining? I tried comcast last night and it was a whole 3M download, up from 1M previously in the evening.

Well they've upgraded the speed in my area, just checked my speed and it hit 112Mbps, not sure if I am happy about this since the caps are coming :(

Back