Comcast IP Address Dilemma. 2 Rooms 1 IP Possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstpaintball

Hey, I'm about to order Comcast, but I have a little problem.

I need the service ran to 2 rooms, 1 my living room, and 2nd my bedroom.
Living room is mainly for the computer, and bedroom is mainly for my gaming consoles.

Is it possible to use their 1 supplied IP address, and have their service work for both my computer and, Playstation 2/etc work?
Can they both work at the same time, or one at a time?

I'll probably have the cabeling ran into the living room, and hopefully you guys can give me a tip for a wireless option to link it to my bedroom, for my consoles.(If there is one).

I know you can purchase more than 1 IP address, but I'm sure that I'm not alone in saying that I don't want to pay a extra fee per month for another IP address.

Thanks

Comcast and routers a bit sketchy at present. Seems that Comcast has decided that they want to force you to pay extra for more than one connection. There are workarounds, one being to spoof the MAC of your NIC onto the router, this will sometimes work, sometimes it will have to be done again every time your IP is renewed.

The following is Netgear specific, but is for the most part relavent anyway. Note that this may not work and if it does, it may not in the future and you may be forceced to pay the extortion money to Comcast in order to have a network. http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/n101227.asp

Have them wire it into the room where used most (they use a RJ45 connector). Have another cable running from your other room to the Comcast connection, with a socket at that end.
Plug the Comcast-cable into the socket going to the other room if you want it there, otherwise plug it into the PC. Cheap as chips.

Originally posted by realblackstuff
Have them wire it into the room where used most (they use a RJ45 connector). Have another cable running from your other room to the Comcast connection, with a socket at that end.
Plug the Comcast-cable into the socket going to the other room if you want it there, otherwise plug it into the PC. Cheap as chips.

If you mean swapping it between the two machines according to which you currently want online, that prolly won't work, they tie the connection to the MAC address of the NIC in the machine they connect it to. This is why you have to spoof the router if you want to use a network. You'd also have problems if that card ever died and you had to replace it.

could you ask them to just wire it into the room, and say you are waiting for your computer or something?
good luck hope you get those bastards and save some money

You can try running a server
or get the mac and wan address of your network card
I think it's the mac you need to change
get a router (I use linksys)
change the MAC address to match your card
set all your cards to static IP
get your DNS numbers from status panel
plug them in to your network card system
make your router a gateway
Let us know how it's workin
I have a friend that may need help with this also