Comcast is boosting Xfinity Internet download speeds for some users

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Xfinity Internet subscribers in several northeastern states will soon enjoy faster connection speeds courtesy of Comcast.

The ISP on Tuesday announced plans to boost the connection speeds of some of its most popular service tiers. Customers on the Performance Starter tier will see download speeds increase from 10 Mbps to 15 Mbps while those on the Performance tier will be bumped from 25 Mbps to 60 Mbps. Similarly, those who subscribe to Comcast’s Performance Pro tier will see download speeds rise from 100 Mbps to 150 Mbps and Blast subscribers will go from 200 Mbps to 250 Mbps.

Notably, upload speeds weren’t mentioned meaning they’ll likely remain unchanged.

New and existing customers across 14 northeastern states – from Maine through Virginia and the District of Columbia – will reap the benefits of faster download speeds at no additional cost. Comcast announced similar download speed increases for its Central Division late last year.

Comcast says customers can expect to see the enhanced speeds sometime this month. Most users will simply need to reboot their cable modem for the faster speeds to take effect. Those using older hardware may need to upgrade their modems to get the faster speeds. If you lease your modem through Comcast, the ISP will set you up with a compatible modem at no extra cost.

Kevin Casey, president of Comcast’s northeast division, said they’ve increased speeds 17 times in the last 17 years.

Permalink to story.

Charter told me the same thing. Still only getting 1/3 of what I pay for.
The "may need to upgrade their modems to get the faster speeds" comment is pointing toward modems with docsis technology. Your modem needs to mention docsis to get full speeds. The Arris (formerly Motorola) modems are the most common and they do a great job. The SB6190 is on Amazon for about $100 which is what I recommend for everybody assuming you have a separate router for wifi.

DSL speeds are never as promised. Comcast's speeds should always be very, very close and maybe even over unless the wiring in your home is super old. I hate Comcast, but you can't argue their speeds aren't the fastest.

Positive news with Comcast, even though I dislike a lot of their other practices. This is still welcomed.

They bumped my speed up I think a month or two ago, and mailed us about it. I can confirm my home speed is much faster.

Comcast increases per region vary dramatically.

These number aren't what is offered in the southern part of the 'Central' or 'West' regions.
Blast in one market is more than half of what it is in others.
Or half what is being promoted here.

Inaccurate marketing is Fake News.
Inconsistent tiers are laughable.

Last edited:
The "may need to upgrade their modems to get the faster speeds" comment is pointing toward modems with docsis technology. Your modem needs to mention docsis to get full speeds. The Arris (formerly Motorola) modems are the most common and they do a great job. The SB6190 is on Amazon for about $100 which is what I recommend for everybody assuming you have a separate router for wifi.

DSL speeds are never as promised. Comcast's speeds should always be very, very close and maybe even over unless the wiring in your home is super old. I hate Comcast, but you can't argue their speeds aren't the fastest.

I have a surfboard modem less than 1 year old, it's capable of 300 Mbps. I know it isn't the problem. I even did a full reset of my network. I actually did a test with some of my family members. I tested three different houses all with the same internet plane and provider. I had a laptop hooked up directly to the modem with an overkill Cat7 cable. The lan was an Intel Gbe (also less than a year old).

House 1 got 25Mbps, House 2 got 34Mbps, and House 3 got 100mbps. All houses are within three miles of each other, have the exact same speed tier. House 2 and 3 both have the same Surboard modem. House 1 has the spectrum provided modem.

Just a heads up, it is the ISP's job to make sure I'm getting the internet speed I paid for. 34Mbps when you should be getting 100 even with a high performance aftermarket modem is inexcusable. What's even sadder is that the modem they provide you with gives you nowhere near what you should be getting.

Ethernet plugged directly into the modem with a cat7 cable. All my desktops and my laptop report the same value.

Well then you should be complaining to them and not us. Probably a poor tap

If I were you I would have immediately complained and got a solution or at least lowered my tier so I wasnt paying for an extra 2/3’s of what Im not using.

Well then you should be complaining to them and not us. Probably a poor tap

If I were you I would have immediately complained and got a solution or at least lowered my tier so I wasnt paying for an extra 2/3’s of what Im not using.

This comment adds nothing to the discussion.

I disagree. It's relevant advice.

Ditto for this comment. It should be noted that the obvious has already been done. Him restating it and you repeating it does nothing for no one. It's like asking me if I'm using the sharp end of a blunt knife.

I have a surfboard modem less than 1 year old, it's capable of 300 Mbps. I know it isn't the problem. I even did a full reset of my network. I actually did a test with some of my family members. I tested three different houses all with the same internet plane and provider. I had a laptop hooked up directly to the modem with an overkill Cat7 cable. The lan was an Intel Gbe (also less than a year old).

House 1 got 25Mbps, House 2 got 34Mbps, and House 3 got 100mbps. All houses are within three miles of each other, have the exact same speed tier. House 2 and 3 both have the same Surboard modem. House 1 has the spectrum provided modem.

Just a heads up, it is the ISP's job to make sure I'm getting the internet speed I paid for. 34Mbps when you should be getting 100 even with a high performance aftermarket modem is inexcusable. What's even sadder is that the modem they provide you with gives you nowhere near what you should be getting.

What "surfboard modem"?

That its new and you got it a year ago isn't relevant. You could have bought a 6121 or 6141 a year ago 'new' and it might perform to the speed tier, but most people miss the point when buying a modem. Whether you "need" more channels to reach a speed tier is irrelevant. More channels means you're more competitive for available bandwidth and quality/consistency of performance within your neighborhood local loop.

So you might have cheaped out on a modem to save a few dollars, and you're stuck assigned to heavy usage channels within your neighborhood local loop, while when using it in other neighborhoods you get provisioned on more favorable channels and/or with less traffic on them.

You're subject to this problem if you don't have a 6183 or 6190 or equivalent.

And yes, most of the "experts" probably gave you bad advice about how to choose a modem, because most of them have no idea how a cable plant actually works.

What "surfboard modem"?

That its new and you got it a year ago isn't relevant. You could have bought a 6121 or 6141 a year ago 'new' and it might perform to the speed tier, but most people miss the point when buying a modem. Whether you "need" more channels to reach a speed tier is irrelevant. More channels means you're more competitive for available bandwidth and quality/consistency of performance within your neighborhood local loop.

So you might have cheaped out on a modem to save a few dollars, and you're stuck assigned to heavy usage channels within your neighborhood local loop, while when using it in other neighborhoods you get provisioned on more favorable channels and/or with less traffic on them.

You're subject to this problem if you don't have a 6183 or 6190 or equivalent.

And yes, most of the "experts" probably gave you bad advice about how to choose a modem, because most of them have no idea how a cable plant actually works.

I have a 6183 and where did you get that I took anyone's advice? I'm NOCTI certified, I know my way around a network.

"Whether you "need" more channels to reach a speed tier is irrelevant."

I never even mentioned channels and you are just attacking something I never even said. Holy hell, you are crazy.

Please do not comment if you are just going to attack people and statements they never made.

Back